AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wagons vs Dump trailers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 8/3/2006 20:22 (#32371 - in reply to #32328)
Subject: RE: Maybe pull them, but not legally in Illinois

Chebanse, IL.....

Rockin R....

We've had big Brents for a few yrs also. No 700 series however. Big Brents are very popular in this area also.

Illinois road law says maximum of 36,000# for wagons, based upon 18,000/axle...with maximum of 36,000 irregardless of # of axles. That's gross, not net, and it's "per wagon". Your wagons probably weigh about 7,000 e.w. The overload fine for wagons is the same as trucks...however there is never an "axle overload" consideration. The law is explicit about specifying wagons also-they do NOT fall under the usualy "items of husbandry", which would be more like tractors & combines. Even more alarming, grain carts fall under same scrutiny as wagons. I'm sure you can see the potential problem there w/maxium 36,000# gross limitation (18K on cart-18K on wagon).

I have have been weighed & fined by the IL St Police for overloaded wagons. It can get expensive. I believe 4,000# over will cost you about $980-but this was a few yrs ago. I'd say just about every fall in recent history, the IL St Police start scrutinizing known routes to grain elevators. They'll set up scales a few mis out, or just pull you across the elevator scale. If wagons are hooked together, they'll treat each of them separately. Tow vehicle does not count in the weight scheme.

I'm not sure why your wagons are affecting your roads. We don't see that here, gravel-dirt-or highway. I'd say our "side roads" or local highways are in MUCH better shape than the hi-$$ maintenance interstates. Our sideroads almost never need repair unless they have areas of quicksand underneath & blow apart in the spring. Just wondering why you think your wagons are causing more trouble than heavily loaded trucks?

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 8/3/2006 21:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)