AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

30 years ago today in Ag Equipment history...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Omar
Posted 11/25/2014 21:33 (#4201648 - in reply to #4201536)
Subject: RE: 30 years ago today in Ag Equipment history...

Elmira, Ontario

AGR568 - 11/25/2014 22:02 Not sure how "all new" the beloved boxcar was... Ever line one up to a xx90 or xx94 Case? The similarities are uncanny. The Cummings engine was (and still is) a huge success . Furthermore I've been told the transmission we've all used in the boxcars was actually a development for the 2+2, this is merely heresay. Will we look back at the Case IH, CaseNewHolland, Fiat situation with the same consternation?

While almost everything on the Magnum was already in the works, it was the complete package that made the tractor special. The transmission was mostly identical (housing, shaft layout, etc) to what IH already had on the market, except there were clutch packs instead of syncro gears. The dash was basically what Case had on the 94/96 series, but just a newer generation. The side exhaust had already been on the Case, but moving it to the right side was much better. I don't recall (famous last words?) any tractors prior to the Magnum having electronic hitch controls though. I don't know which engineering team was responsible for it.

I could go on. My point is you can find elements of past design and current engineering work from both brands in the Magnum. I think the finished product was brilliantly put together. It would have been hugely difficult to get everyone working in the same direction in such a short period of time after that forced merger. I think they knew they had to hit a homerun to keep both Case and IH's history alive. I say congratulations!

Now, what they did with the Maxxum brought things back to earth. A decent enough tractor, but quality control was awful in the early days. I was working for Case IH at the time. We used to joke that that we would answer the phone "Maxxum hotline".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)