AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

30 years ago today in Ag Equipment history...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

four creeks
Posted 11/24/2014 23:25 (#4199806 - in reply to #4197731)
Subject: RE: 30 years ago today in Ag Equipment history...

Vermont
IH had two great features that come to mind. First, the two point fast hitch. Better and handier than three point. Deere wanted it on their tractors but IH wouldn't liscense it to anyone else. So IH implements on IH tractors was all you saw of the fast hitch. Everyone else went three point hitch, and IH did too because farmers wanted one hitch system for their tractors and equipment. The fast hitch could have been the standard of the industry. We could have category 1,2,3,and 4 fast hitch instead of three point hitch.
Other feature they had was the dual speed PTO. I think they sold a lot of tractors in dairy country because of that one feature. Very handy going from one implement to another and always having the right pto shaft.

Deere had wet brakes, hyd diff lock, planetary drives, way easier engine access (2 bolts hold hood on, and no fuel tank over engine), nice sway block design on their three point hitch instead of that sloppy sway contraption IH had. More comfortable, more user friendly tractors. I've always liked IH, but I think Deere had better, more durable and simpler tractors. They were more with the program than IH.

Edited by four creeks 11/24/2014 23:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)