AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problem w/Schlage keypad lever door lock
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/21/2014 05:39 (#4191331)
Subject: Problem w/Schlage keypad lever door lock

Chebanse, IL.....

I've long been a proponent of the Schlage keypad door lock/levers. We have several of them. One of the main ones I use daily gives me some trouble occasionally. Seems it's more affected by cold weather. By the way, the inside portion of the door latch mechanism resides in a heated building, so it's not entirely cold. I do have some that are cold on both sides & they work fine. Anyway, you can enter the code, hear the "click-click" that indicates it's unlocking the mechanism (from the outside), but it doesn't release the lock. You can't open the latch. Come back later and everything will work fine. No consistency. I put in a fresh 9V battery from a store that I'm sure has a lot of stock turnover, but the problem occurred again a couple days later. Sometimes I have to access thru another door which has a Schlage that will work fine. The lock also resides under a covered awning area, so it's not exposed to a lot of moisture either. If you open the lock from the inside, all is fine.

Anyone else encounter this? Is there a solution? Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dakota
Posted 11/21/2014 05:43 (#4191338 - in reply to #4191331)
Subject: RE: Problem w/Schlage keypad lever door lock

SC North Dakota
Will it unlock when you use the key? Never had a problem with any of mine.
3pete
Posted 11/21/2014 05:48 (#4191345 - in reply to #4191331)

WCIN
Had one doing the same thing. Like you I tried a new battery. Employee said if you pulled on the handle toward you at the same time you heard the click it would open. He reset/adjusted the latch plate and sprayed it with liquid wrench and it has been working great again.
Shippy
Posted 11/21/2014 06:36 (#4191431 - in reply to #4191331)

Seymour, IN
Mine does the same thing. If I turn the handle really fast a couple of times, it will eventually catch and open the door. This seems to be an internal issue and not associated with the latch plate on mine.
IowaMark
Posted 11/21/2014 06:39 (#4191445 - in reply to #4191331)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I've got two of these and both are used in heated/cold entries like yours. One I've had exactly the same problems your talking about, but only in colder weather. I can unlock it with a key. Am interested in finding a solution also. I've done the new battery, lubication route also with no succes.
Duane in ND
Posted 11/21/2014 06:39 (#4191447 - in reply to #4191331)

North central North Dakota

I had a problem with one of mine.  Called the company and they sent me out a new one.  Didn't want the old one back, just the hassle of changing key lock mechanism to match my keys.

IowaMark
Posted 11/21/2014 06:43 (#4191456 - in reply to #4191447)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Did they replace the whole latch or just the inner parts of it? How old was yours, my odest one is probably 3-4 years old?

Edited by IowaMark 11/21/2014 06:46
Duane in ND
Posted 11/21/2014 06:52 (#4191484 - in reply to #4191456)

North central North Dakota

The one was about 4 years old.  They sent me out a complete unit.  Was pleased with their service.  I hope that the ease of them to do a replacement is not an indicator of problems that the company has /will have with the locks.  I really do like how they work, I have 3 right now and would get more for more applications.

Rhino
Posted 11/21/2014 06:55 (#4191491 - in reply to #4191331)

Central Iowa
Same problem here with a couple
IowaMark
Posted 11/21/2014 06:58 (#4191502 - in reply to #4191484)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Duane in ND - 11/21/2014 06:52

The one was about 4 years old.  They sent me out a complete unit.  Was pleased with their service.  I hope that the ease of them to do a replacement is not an indicator of problems that the company has /will have with the locks.  I really do like how they work, I have 3 right now and would get more for more applications.

Thanks, think I'll call them today and see what I find out.
Trucker1
Posted 11/21/2014 07:39 (#4191629 - in reply to #4191502)

Sparta, WI

I have 5 of them that had a cold weather issue. I called Schlage the said email a proof of purchase and we'll send you 5 new ones. Put the new ones in about a year ago and now the one that gets used the most is acting up again.

joyful
Posted 11/21/2014 07:40 (#4191632 - in reply to #4191491)
Subject: RE: COLD WEATHER

Westside

Going to put on a storm door and see if that will help, lost my keys. Have 6 of them and have problems with most of 
them in cold weather. Hot inside cold outside causes trouble 5 degrees and colder depends on the humidity.
New battery's help. 

KnowAFarmer
Posted 11/21/2014 21:55 (#4193225 - in reply to #4191484)

SE Nebraska
I had a Schlage keypad deadbolt that the beeper didn't work when you pressed the buttons. I checked the programming and made sure it was active. I called their customer service # and explained what I had tried, and they sent me a new complete lock. Didn't need proof, and didn't want the old one back.
farmnsew
Posted 11/21/2014 21:59 (#4193233 - in reply to #4191632)
Subject: RE: COLD WEATHER

N E Iowa
I had trouble with one from the house to the garage. We found out if we pulled it shut tighter it worked every time.
9520Deere
Posted 11/21/2014 22:21 (#4193262 - in reply to #4191331)

Alberta Canada

Have the same issue with it not unlocking. Seems the door weather stripping expands and presses the door against the latch causing the deadbolt to grab/bind. Have to pull the handle towards you when entering the code and it works. Also when it gets really cold it seems it doesn't have enough power to unlock even when pulling the door towards you. Find them very handy but the binding and not always opening gets to be frustrating.

mri5378
Posted 2/5/2021 19:43 (#8809787 - in reply to #4191331)

My Schlage would not unlock in the cold. I turned it right instead of left and that I stuck the seat and I turned left again and it worked.
farmerkj
Posted 2/5/2021 21:03 (#8809981 - in reply to #4191331)

Central Wi
The one on our house eats the cam deal inside so it doesn't pull the deadbolt out of the door frame. Ate 3 of them in a couple of months. Have to go through the basement and take the thing apart from the inside to get door open. Unfortunately we have a old keylock on our house again.
Chad H
Posted 2/5/2021 21:32 (#8810035 - in reply to #4191331)

NE SD
We have a handful of them around. The ones on our shops are occasional use as far as the locking part is concerned since we don't lock up unless gone but I didn't feel like the first set lasted like it should. Like yours they acted like they were trying and did nothing. It was worse when cold. We moved the one on the main shop to the office door that sees less cycles hoping that might help.

I have one on my house that is 5 or 6 years old that I usually use the keypad qt least twice a day 5-7 days a week depending on time of year. It has always worked perfectly and I think it is 6 years old.

I should add, these are the Menards versions. I think they do make a heavy heavy commercial version but it is quite expensive....like several hundred per rather than $150 or so.

Edited by Chad H 2/5/2021 21:34
golfnut
Posted 2/5/2021 22:15 (#8810096 - in reply to #4191331)

Central Nebraska

I've got two left and have trashed three.  Once I had to break a the window on a door to get into my house.  Winter, dark, cold and windy.  I figured a 2 lb hammer would easily break the window.  I was wrong!  That was the cheapest thing to break.  I've had to cut the lock out of a door on my shop too.  Both doors now have $20 knobs on them.  The doors also shut and latch better.  I'm now searching for a better lock.  uLoc is not better by the way.

DirtySanchez
Posted 11/13/2021 19:44 (#9319259 - in reply to #4191331)

I've had two of these locks for a few years now. Now, after entering the code to be able to spin the lock to unlock it, the knob doesn't engage and you can't unlock the door - it just spins. You hear the click after entering the numbers. New battery didn't seem to help.

The fix - I took the entire lock off the door, both sides. Take the keypad side and remove the 6 torx head bolts. Pull the plate apart. You can plug the inside battery pice back in to test. There is a spring return solenoid actuator on the keypad half that actuates when you enter the code. On mine, the solenoid wasn't moving it's entire stroke. The little solenoid has to overcome the spring, plus friction and it appeared dry (no oil) - so it was getting stuck. I sprayed some lube in it, ballistol, and worked it around. Tested it and now it cycles its full stroke. Put the while thing back together and it works great now. That solenoid needs to extend all the way to be able to unlock the door with keypad.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)