AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tig welding/.Which kind/gas?Miller Dial arc welder?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 7/31/2006 08:59 (#31425 - in reply to #31388)
Subject: RE: Tig welding/.Which kind/gas?Miller Dial arc welder?

Straight Argon works well for all around usage in a tig. Aluminim, stainless, steel, all weld very well with straight Argon.

Dont know about the dial-arc. I have a Lincoln squarewave with an air cooled torch. I dont use for any extended time welding, so I get by fine with an air cooled. The foot pedal will do things for you, you cant understand untill you run one. It allows you even a simple task like going hotter to start the weld, and backing off once the puddle is started. Then you can back off more through any thin spots, or go otter through a heavier spot. It takes a bit to get used to, but once you have a little practice, it will seem like second nature.

If you have a mig welder allready, and are adding to your fleet, get a second helmet for tig. You can usually run one shade lighter for tig. Also, for welding aluminum, you should keep a seperate wire brush around just for aluminum. A stainless sleel bristled one. Label it for aluminum only.

If you buy a new welder, hopefully it will have a video with it. It makes life a lot easier to know how to sharpen the tungsten for steels, and how to ball it for aluminum. I use pure tungsten for aluminum and 98% for steel.

My knowledge of tig is very limited as I have only been using one occaisionally for about 10-12 years. So only use my info as an opinion, not fact.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)