AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip-Till continuous corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Panhandler
Posted 7/30/2006 23:51 (#31376 - in reply to #31224)
Subject: Re: Strip-Till continuous corn

Oklahoma Panhandle
I currently run a Dawn E-Pluribus but had an Orthman 8300 made into a strip till rig prior to that. We ran it in the spring in irrigated corn stalks without row cleaners, usually on an angle to the old rows. If your rows are straight enough and guess rows accurate, you could run with the row. I would try it without row cleaners initially. Without row cleaners you might have trouble with trash plugging between closers and shank. I don't think a little trash in the row in the fall will hamper your planting in the spring. The stalk rows will act as wall with the row cleaners throwing trash at them. Just think ahead and plan for space to add row cleaners if necessary. The type of cornhead and condition of stalks will make a difference.

Also, make sure your closer set up will fit between the rows. The stalks pulled down by the cornhead make it tighter than running in growing corn. A little stagger front to back between row units might help and the standing stalks between rows might act as a rake to keep things clear.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)