AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tracking varietes in Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/17/2008 03:48 (#359684 - in reply to #358686)
Subject: RE: Tracking varietes in Insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
No not without some trickery. The split planter must follow the section splits setup for the clutches. In your case your only choice would be 8 and 8.

I have made a workaround for this type of thing for a 24 row planter where the operator wanted the split to be 6 & 18.

This has some limitations and is certainly not approved by anyone. With my setup, an additonal wiring harness is inserted between the clutch modules and the clutch cables. The system is setup up as a 4 section planter rather than a 2 section planter which it really is.

Because the planter is configured as a 4 section (it still really is only 2) then the split could be 4 & 12 as you could specify the left variety as one section and the right variety as three sections.

The onscreen map and screen indications would make it appear that the planter is shutting off in four sections. The wiring is such that planting would continue until an entire half has passed into a planted area. The planted area for a field would be slightly exaggerated as the system will assume that the sections have shut off in 4 sections.

For example, when approaching a headland at an angle, the system might shut off Section 1 and then later Section 2. With my harness, Planting would continue when Section 1 is shut off until the planter reaches the point where Section 2 is also off. Likewise Section 3 would then be shut off but planting on that half would continue until Section 4 should be shut off. If this were not done this way there would be some gaps. Consider if when Section 1 could be shut off, the entire left half were shut off, quite likely there would be times when Section 2 had not yet reached the headland.

The theory behind this is basically "Don't shut off a planter half unless both of these fake sections are off".

Again the only reason for doing all this is to be able to split the varieties in sections not allowed by the real section splits. The same wiring harness that I used for the 24 row would work for any two section electric clutch planter provided that splitting up into 4 sections rather than 2 would give you the split varieties combination that you wish.

You can run into a similar situation with air clutches. There it is easiest to setup sections to get the partial totals to be what you want. For example, a customer wanted his 36 row setup into 12-3 row sections and have a split variety setup as 8 & 28. Since 8 is not a section break (8/3 = 2 2/3), this is not allowed.

The workaround here was to rearrange the air lines a bit and setup the planter sections as 3,3,2,4,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 which equals 36. In other words, move the one line from the third section to the fourth section. Then reset the section numbers in the configuration to relect this change.

Then it is possible to pick the first three sections (3+3+2 = 8 ) for the refuge variety and the rest (4+3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3=28) for the trait variety. Here there should be no problems with exaggerated acres as the system is not being fooled

Edited by tedbear 4/17/2008 03:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)