AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1020 feeding problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 7/30/2006 13:18 (#31176 - in reply to #31145)
Subject: Ancient history

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
20 + years ago I was running an IH 914,this is a pull type version of the 915. Every year we had feeding problems,it would build up in front of the feeder drum un till the auger tossed the crop material over the front of the header or the slug fed into the feeder in a lump and slugged the feeder and bent the feeder floor.
Start of the season was the worst when things were dirty ,rough and rusty. Tried everything we or dealer tecs could think of with little improvement. we finally just wrote it off as an IH thing and struggled along that way for years. About then I got Ray Stuckle's (remember him ?)combine book. Among the many tips he had about making every kind of combine work in any conditions ,was this tip about watching for a feeder chain problem on IH combines.
He stated that a great many of the late IH conventional's and early axial flow machines like the 1482 that I had just bought but not used yet,came from the factory with the feeder chains installed backwards(low leg of the channel slat leading instead of the high leg) which would cause almost impossible feeding problems in wheat.
I headed out to the shed to check my old 914 and new to me 1482,both had the feeder chain in backwards !!. After switching the feeder chains around the correct way,I never had a feeding problem with the 1482 in wheat or other small grain,and the feeding problem of the 914 that went to a relative two miles away was also gone.
Check the feeder chain where the slats roll over the top of the feeder drum to make sure the high leg of the slat channel is leading. It is as easy to install the feeder chain backwards as the correct way,so it's worth a look.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)