AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD planter models
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 7/28/2006 17:59 (#30697 - in reply to #30569)
Subject: Re: JD planter models

Leesburg, Ohio
Can't give you all the numbers, but here's some of them: 7200 series was just after the 7000's. Somewhat heavier, and the 12 row front fold models flexed in the middle, whereas the 7000's were rigid...they introduced the single-disc fertilizer coulters (worked very well) for liquid or dry...I think heavier down pressure springs?? and easier adjustment on closing wheel pressure.
The 1700's were next. We still have a 1760 wing-fold...not as heavy-built as the 7200 front-fold...the 1780 would be the replacement for the 7200 front-fold. Just after this series was introduced, Deere came out with the newer style Max-emerge units...black plastic inserts on gauge wheels, heavier parallel arms, cast closing wheel brackets (broke every one of the originals...they made heavier replacements). 1780's were available in 15" spacing, I think.
You don't say what size...I wouldn't be afraid of about any 6 row model, although I would prefer the "conservation" model 7000 or 7200...I think they had heavier wheel frames, but the trade-off there might be the more complicated hydraulics.
For a 12 or 16 row, I would go for a 7200. The electro-hydraulic systems seemed to give more trouble on the 7000 series. Thats why I like the simplicity of the 1760 wing-fold...no "electro", just hydro.
Some plate type 7000's are out there...wouldn't want one. Have had finger pickup meters and vac meters. Happy with both/either. Didn't particularly like the spacing of the old bean cup meters...I think newer style bean meters are much better. We use 750 and 1560 drills, so why am I complaining...they say they are just controlled spills.
Someone else will have to jump in for the newer models.
Hope this helps...
Ken
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)