AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ-Steer on 2wd?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 4/9/2008 12:26 (#353604 - in reply to #353434)
Subject: RE: EZ-Steer on 2wd?

rdpwr - 4/9/2008 07:31 My PARTS guy said that I can run an Ez-steer on my 1086 2wd. I have heard many horror stories about auto guidance and the inability to run it on non-mfd tractors. From what I have heard it will make the tractor very jerky because the front end won't hook up.

I have a difficult time understanding why running any assisted steering solution would make the tractor drive in a jerky manner, whether it be MFD or not. It is even more difficult for me to understand why an assisted steering solution would make it so the front end wouldn't hook up.

Previous posters have mentioned that you will have no problem with the EZ-Steer on your 2wd tractor. They have also mentioned that the "freeplay" setting on the EZ-Steer will partially compensate for the slop in your steering system. Both of these things are correct. The other thing you should consider is whether the tractor you are running is truly meant to handle what ever you're pulling with it. If the front end of the tractor is getting light sometimes because you've got a 3-point mounted implement that's too heavy or because you're gearing down and pulling the guts out of it you're not going to have much luck with any assisted steering solution. However, if the front end is firmly planted you're not going to have a problem.

To give you an idea of slop in your steering system, we have an older tractor, a JD 4840. When we are parked on grass like in the pasture and we measure freeplay we do it as follows:

1. Turn the wheel to the right a little just so you know that the wheel of the tractor could not be moved to the left because of slop.

2. Mark the 12 o'clock position on your steering wheel.

3. Turn the steering wheel to the left until you just barely see the front wheels start to move.

4. Mark the 12 o'clock position on your steering wheel again.

5. Measure the distance between the 2 marks.

Our estimate of an average measurement of this for our JD 4840 is between 1" and 1.5". We have no problem drilling wheat with WAAS on our EZ-Guide+ and EZ-Steer with the implement width set to 1' less than the actual width of the machine. We are planning on planting this year with the same tractor and a 16 row JD planter using an EZ-Steer with a MojoRTK system. Based on the testing we've done with it we feel the EZ-Steer will be plenty accurate enough even for row crop when it's combined with the RTK. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)