AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

waseca strip till show
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

M
Posted 7/30/2006 12:48 (#31169 - in reply to #31126)
Subject: RE: Ag boy, One answer

A corn plant can have 8 ears I do believe.
I don't think 200 is max, I averaged over 225 last year, but that was 45 bu above the previous high I ever had a few years back. I don't have a yield monitor but there must have been areas doing 250 plus. Last year was about as perfect weather as you could get. About one inch per week rain with plenty of warm weather.
This year the potential is there but we have lost our sandy soil already and unless we get rain this next week i see the crop slowly fading ,tipping back of the ear will start to occur. The corn looks fairly good yet on the better ground and were I apply manure.
One year I had 5 bu/acre(1993) Thats what the crop insurance adjuster said it would have made. We disced under every acre that year. So yea the weather has a big influence here on the buffalo ridge.
I have pushed populations, use manure, use triple stack corn, control weeds, plant early, ect... I have done the best i can to control those variables but if mother nature doesn't give me rain I'm pooched.
We will see tuesday if it rains.
My goal before I retire (14 years) is to raise 300 bushel average atleast once in my lifetime. Don't know if the newer genetics will give us that in 14 years but it is possible. Last years crop might be the best I ever raise ,who knows. Someday i want to raise 70 bu bean average like the boys in souix county iowa can do. Those loess soils with good weather can raise some awesome beans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)