AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

waseca strip till show
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

M
Posted 7/29/2006 15:30 (#30935 - in reply to #30921)
Subject: What populations are you planting??

What pops are you planting??
Are you using flex ear hybrids?? Surely not fixed ear hybrids.
I use lots of hog manure so i don't think fertility is an issue.
Our organic levels run maybe at the high of 4%. I don't really know how to get much above that unless you ADD lots straw manure. Running high organic % can tie up herbicides so i don't think in that case higher is better.
You must have peat type ground to be that high in organic matter. There are places like that in minnesota that have peat ground. From what I understand they are very difficult to farm.
I will post this again---I don't think modern day hybrids planted at 15000 will outyield the 30000 plant population unless under SEVERE drought conditions. For 15000 to outyield 30000, one plant at the 15000 population would need 2 ears BIGGER than 2 plants @30000. According to my handy corn yield calcualtor @ 15000 PPA to get 200 bushels per acre the size of the ear would need to be......20 around and 60 kernals long. I don't think I have ever seen a ear that big. You would need 2 ears on each stalk With atleast 12 by 30 to beat 30000. At 30000 PPA the ear size needs to be 16 by 35, very common size.
In corn production leaf area per acre is very important . The more leaf area exposed to the sun the more photosynthesis that is accomplished thus higher yields. At low populations you have alot of sunlight wasted hitting the ground. Modern hybrids have erect leaves thus allow more sunlight interception thus higher yields.
Populations of corn has been increasing over the years as farmers try to maximize bu per acre.
You know you are at maximum populations in corn if the ear tips back about a half inch and you also see 1 to 2 % barren plants. Then you know you have PUSHED the hybrid to the maximum for maximum yields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)