AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

waseca strip till show
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

york
Posted 7/29/2006 02:23 (#30805 - in reply to #30780)
Subject: RE: waseca strip till show

Hello Jim,

I understand your point. But because true "No Tioll" is according to you inconsistent it doesn't say it will now work if it's done right.
I still keep my point that you should read the above mentioned book and you even get some more detailed understanding to make even Strip Till more successfull. And even more I'm challenging you to put some investigation into what could be done to the planters.
Times are changing very much. The extremes in wether, beeing too wet or too dry are increasing. We have had the 2nd extrem dry year out of 4 years. And I can tell you that we see big big differances in yields. Some farmers have just a little below average and some have massiv losses. And that can be within a single farm, not related to thunder storm rainfall.
What we observe is a big topic and that is soil fertility in relation to OM and soil cover. Looking just at the pictures of the "Soil Warrior", and also on some of your Dawn pictures, that is more tillage than soil concervation. But you are right it looks very appealing and attractive. And furthermore it releases the so well known and liked smell of soil after tillage? Isn't that a smell we are dreaming of? But where it the soil cover? Sorry folk, it's not soil warming alone. first of all look at your ability of the soil of natural drainage? Futhermore on natural air in the soil. Get the chemestry right, I refer to the works of Prof. Albrecht, and you will have the composition on soil in respect of dranagability, air contend and so on right. Right, No Till corn will start later but our observations are that it will outcompete it and compensate more than enough for the slower start.
Also, get your seeding rate down. We aren't increasing our qield in higher stand but in more kernes per plant. Why not have 2 even size cobs on a single plant? Photosyntheses is there for even 4 to 5 cobs in full size per plant. We have had that and are having it: 2 vull size cobs at a single plant. What are the benefit's? less evaporation of the corn as we have less leaf area. Much better drying so less fungies and much stronger stemms. Also shorter palnta and at harvest 1% less moisture.
Now I know this is totaly against our upbringing but if you would have told people 150 years ago that iron is going to fly you would have been most likely put into a mental asylum. Look up to the sky and see how much metal is flieng.

I'm not here to make anyone mad. Keep to your system and stay like you are. But don't say that you haven't been exposed to some other, what ever you call it.

York
Germany
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)