AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GreenSeeker on Deere 4700
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/4/2008 08:03 (#349696)
Subject: GreenSeeker on Deere 4700

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had a call yesterday from a person who wanted to install a GreenSeeker system on a Deere 4700. I have never installed one and vaguely understand the concept.

As I understand it, Sensors on the boom measure the "color" of the crop and report this information to a GreenSeeker processing unit in the cab. The unit determines the amount of supplemental Nitrogen that should be applied in a given area on the fly. This information is transmitted via a serial cable to a Raven controller which attempts to apply that amount of product.

It is my understanding that this on the fly arrangement only works with Raven controllers. This creates some problems when using the Deere 4700.

I have a plan in mind but I am open to any suggestions. My basic plan is to install a Raven 460 system in the 4700 which works on the control portion "after the fact". A Raven control valve plumbed in bypass and a Raven flowmeter would be installed between the Deere flowmeter and Boom Valves. The Boom sense from the Deere system would be wired into the Raven harness.

The Deere system would be programmed to deliver a Rate somewhat higher than was ever needed. The Raven system could then reduce this spray rate by allowing excess to return to the tank under rate changes from the Greenseeker system. The boom valve switching etc would still be handled by the Deere system.

The acreage and gallon totals on the Raven console should be correct. The acreage totals on the Deere system should be correct but the gallons used would be overstated since a portion of that total would have been returned to the tank.

Plumbing in the extra control valve and flowmeter might be a bit tight but could possibly be done by making a loop of hose to intercept the current plumbing. This loop might be connected via quick couplers so that the components could be easily removed and just a piece of hose put back in its place to return the sprayer close to original.

Any suggestions?

Edited by tedbear 4/4/2008 08:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)