AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hooking in a flowmeter to Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/6/2008 12:54 (#351083 - in reply to #350887)
Subject: RE: Hooking in a remote switch to Insight...Ted

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The directions I gave above are for wiring in an implement switch to an App Rate module. The most common scenario for our customers would be with a planter where the logging/mapping of varieties would be started/stopped by raising or lowering the planter.

This implement switch can be used in conjunction with a flowmeter (Scott's question) or with a serial connection to a something like a Raven or Rawson. The implement switch would handle the variety side of things as far as starting/stopping logging.

Another use for an implement switch is the situation about which you ask. The jumper on the LCM module can be removed and replaced with a switch. This switch is typically activated by raising or lowering the implement. This switch must be mechanically or electrically wired so it completes the circuit when application is desired and broken when application is not desired. There is no menu setting that allows the operator to switch the logic if the switch happens to work backwards of what you want

Many whisker type switches have a removable cover for the electrical connections. With this type there are usually the COM, N.O., and N.C. terminals. Always use the COM terminal and one of the other two. Again these connections go to Pin A and Pin B of the three pole tower coming out of the LCM. If the action seems to be backwards of what you want then use the COM terminal and the other terminal.
Remember the circuit needs to be completed for application to occur.

Using a switch like this on an NH3 bar would add the peace of mind and safety of assuring that the NH3 is OFF whenever the bar is raised. I have not done this on my own bar but I probably should.

Since there is no equivalent to raising the implement when dealing with a sprayer, the jumper plug is normally just left in the circuit.

Sometimes multiple modules are being used at the same time on planters. I have made a tee that allows two modules to be cycled by a single implement switch.

In other situations there has been some concern about a single implement switch when it is attached to a single row unit on a planter. If that row should happen to drop into a large hole, the implement switch could be activated which would stop the logging but worse than that it would stop planting if Seed Command were being used.

For those situations we have sometimes used two implement switches which are wired in parallel. If either switch completes the circuit then planting/application/logging continues.

In a few planters we have two implement switches wired together in parallel that lead to two modules. This should pretty well cover a worse case scenario.

Ron - you don't want to use the implement switch connection to accomplish what you are trying to do. My first year out with the DC NH3 setup I arranged things that way. The implement switch is not really designed for that situation but is really designed for a true implement raising/lowering scheme.

Ron may want to have the NH3 bar Master Switch in the Command Arm on his Deere tractors rather than using the Master on the Ag Leader ten boom box. Since many NH3 bars only have one boom section only one switch is needed.

That is how I do it myself. The command arm switch that I used to use with a Raven console will work as the Master for the Insight system if the Ag Leader to Raven Harness is used. That is the purpose of the Brown Tee in the wiring harness that goes to the AIM. The brown connector tee would need to be plugged into the AIM but the boom box could be left out.

If your system is wired with that cable and you had a Master switch that worked with the Raven you are in very good shape. All you need to do is go to the Boom Input settings menu. On top you will see a box dealing with the Master, it will currently say SWITCH, change the setting to E2. Then the Insight will be watching the Remote Master that formerly went to the Raven Remote Master (Orange, Orange/white).

In other cases, I have made a single Master switch connector (Green connector) to the AIM rather than installing the Ag Leader 10 boom box. This switch is not just a simple SPST switch as one might expect. Ag Leader uses a boom presence detect routine that must be dealt with. I won't bore you with the details.

In my 8xxx tractors I use that type of switch since the product(s) used with those tractors have only one boom. In the 7700 which does the spraying, an Ag Leader 10 boom box is used.

Edited by tedbear 4/6/2008 17:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)