AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hooking in a flowmeter to Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/4/2008 07:43 (#349684 - in reply to #349415)
Subject: RE: Hooking in a flowmeter to Insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We do this exact setup for many of our customers. I also use this setup personally. In fact I just built some cables yesterday for this very situation.

A Raven flowmeter (typically an RFM 15 - 15 Gallons/Min max) is installed in the fertilizer line. A cable runs from the Raven flowmeter to an Ag Leader App Rate Module. The module is connected via CAN to the Insight system. The cable also has a branch which goes in an implement switch on the planter. The module generally lives inside the cab for these situations but it could be mounted elsewhere if desired.

Since two products are involved (Seed varieties and fertilizer) the Insight must have the mult-product unlock. With the multi-product unlock you are able to build a "compound" configuration which consists of information about the planting situation and also the application situation.

As part of the setup information you enter the Meter Cal for the flowmenter. Raven states this number on their tag for 10 gallons. The number on an RFM 15 might be 1680 which means that 1680 pulses are created when 10 gallons of liquid passes through the flowmeter. Ag Leader wants the Meter Cal to be representative of the pulses for 1 gallon so the Meter Cal would be 168.

Various facts about the planting/fertilizer situation can be displayed on the Insight. A variety map and a fertilizer map are both created and either can be viewed as well as a general coverage map. The implement switch will start/stop the logging process. An application report can be created which will pertain to the application or fertilizer side of things.

This combination of equipment works together very well.

The App Rate module can also be used in other situations to communicate with another brand of controller such as members of the Raven family.

Edited by tedbear 4/4/2008 07:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)