AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

300 acres to rent, what would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/27/2006 00:17 (#30189 - in reply to #30017)
Subject: RE: 300 acres to rent, what would you do? Suggestions.

Driftless SW Wisconsin
Eddie,

I posted that picture to show that there are alternatives for smaller farmers. I planted myself with the 6 row units pictured. We have a N IL customer who farms about 300 acres of family farm ground plus works a full time job. His limiting factor is time. He has reported excellent crops. A larger farmer/neighbor has expressed an interest in row units.

One of the neat things about our version of strip till equipment is that is useful to the larger farmer and smaller farmer, if for different reasons. With low HP requirements, it has economic, agronomic and conservation benefits. Leaves the residue on the surface yet gives a conventional type worked strip for the planter.

This is not a sales forum. However I am damned if I do and damned if I don't answer. So it does not seem I am avoiding an answer, I will say that the unit pictured would be under 20k through a local dealer. No markers - just drive on the old rows. Works well for a range of crops including sweet corn, edible beans, navies, sunflowers, etc.

Please note, I know corn is not currently $3 but you could have sold 07 and 08 for well over $3 recently. I also realize this does not include the basis. In some areas it is also possible your average yield could be more than 200. I also know that input costs for beans are less than corn. But the rent is not different. But I do know if you are going to raise 50-60 bu beans you are going to need to apply some fertilizer to them. There are also numerous other potential bean costs.

The point is just the MAGNITUDE of the probable difference in gross income between growing corn and beans for the commodity markets in the near future. It seems to me it greatly favors more corn in many good corn growing areas. Bean prices will have to come up somewhat to be competitive in gross income potential. They may or may not come up in the near future, I'd guess not. I think the numbers indicate a new central IA or other cornbelt farmer may be better off concentrating on corn. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 7/27/2006 00:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)