AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble 500 master switch to JD4700 Spraystar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/31/2008 04:47 (#346138 - in reply to #345588)
Subject: Re: Trimble 500 master switch to JD4700 Spraystar

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
alange is correct, I have done this with success but there are some limitations that you may not be aware of. The map on the 500 is just a coverage map and will not show application rates. The map is either ON or OFF, it cannont show partial swaths.

If some type of autoswath is utilized, the Coverage map on the 500 will continue to log even if autoswath has shut all the booms OFF depending on how it is wired in.

In my case I used the relay in the Master switch line going to my Insight Auxiliary Control Module. When the Master switch is enabled, the Insight controls the application and makes its own map which is correct for application rates, partial swath etc. The 500 produces a more crude map which as mentioned is ON whenever the Master Switch is enabled.

One might ask why I bother when I have the map from the Insight. Actually there isn't a real good reason to do it at times. The Insight is not always available for that tractor and the 500 map is better than nothing in those situations.

Be certain to use the relay as backfeeding may cause damage. A relay is also needed when trying this same type of thing with an EZ-Guide 250. The wiring is different but the concept of isolating the system with a relay is the same. A 12V SPST relay is adequate. A light duty relay is fine since the electrical load from the 500 is very low.

For the Deere 4700 I would suggest that you tap into the line that goes "Hot" at the center boom valve when the valve is OPEN. The 4700 uses a polarity reversing scheme to run the boom valves. Carefully test the three wires at the valve and one of them will be HOT only when the valve is open. This might be confusing, you will want to use the wire that is 12V when the valve is open and ground when the valve is closed. Another wire will behave in the opposite fashion.

Splice onto that wire and run it all the way back to the cab. It would seem like one should be able to tap into this wire closer to the cab but this may be more trouble than it is worth. Also be careful of how you make the splice as you will be opening up the insulation and this is a potential source of corrosion.

Tapping into the Boom Valves is how we tie a Raven Sidekick system into these sprayers.

The Master switch in the cab operates an an input to the Deere system and is not a good place to tap in as it may cause other problems by overloading the Deere system at that point. I believe the input voltages may only be 5V. Going to the Boom Valve is much safer.

Edited by tedbear 3/31/2008 05:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)