AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop question...educate me,.. dont bash..educate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mccoyranch
Posted 6/27/2014 07:21 (#3939642 - in reply to #3937289)
Subject: RE: cover crop question...educate me,.. dont bash..educate

North Central Kansas
I think I've told you before, If you look at cover crops as a threat to your cash crops, then don't do it. If you look at them as a tool to use to improve soil, weed suppression, water infiltration and soil health them try it. You seem like your neighbor to the north, determined to show they won't work. If that's so, then they certainly won't work.
Try them on a small scale. You have a nice little test plot area right in front of your house.
I am feeling like if we want some or all of the results that we hear Gabe Brown achieve, we must be willing to go the distance and do everything necessary to eliminate commercial fertilizers and drastically reduce chemical use. Every step I take forward, I see more and better results. You can't just put 'magic beans' in the drill and cash in next year. There are many things to do.
You don't own cattle, but that doesn't mean you can't have some on your land. Work with someone to plant a cover/grazing crop and that will re-coup some or all of your costs. BUT, be sure it's someone who will strip graze it to distribute the manure and reduce compaction. Good luck finding that guy in your area. I am just laying it out as straight and simple as I can. I don't see the harm in trying something. Especially when you have some resources. I have tried new things on at least 1/3 of my acres the last three years, and you know I don't farm much. That's the attitude of determination you will need.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)