AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Joysticks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 7/20/2006 17:31 (#28349 - in reply to #28323)
Subject: RE: Major damage done to bodies by steering wheels?

Brazilton KS

Vehicles tend to move forward, carrying their drivers with them.  Objects in motion tend to stay in motion.  Vehicle encounters some sort of obstruction causing it to stop suddenly.  Driver tends to stay in motion.  Steering wheel tends to be affixed in the path of said driver.  Driver tends to impact steering wheel.  Impact tends to cause death or serious injury.  That is how steering wheels kill or injure thousands every year.  It used to be a lot worse, before steering wheels were designed to absorb some of the energy of the driver rather then stop his/her body immediately, but they are still probably the leading killer in collisions. 

Being a little holier-then-thou with the bit about amputees and injuries being self inflicted.  I know you have done plenty of things which coulda shoulda woulda resulted in an injury.  You just got lucky.  I have too.  

With stuff going to fly by wire anyway the stick would probably be less expensive then trying to convert traditional controls to deliver the commands which are needed.  Drive a Cat hystat crawler tractor or one of their skidsteers and you will experience joystick control today.  I've ran the skidsteer and it was confusing as hell for me because of existing habits from other controls, but people withou such bias report it is by far the simplest control scheme.  

Lots of machinery has no mechanical connection to the steering...combines, 4wd tractors, most sprayers, and all track tractors come immediately to mind. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)