AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone read "Dirt, The Erosion of Civilizations"? + Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 3/20/2014 14:39 (#3765552 - in reply to #3762916)
Subject: RE: Anyone read "Dirt, The Erosion of Civilizations"? - some snirt pics

NE SD
Jim, the only ditches that look like that here are next to no-tilled fields that had poor crop or areas of poor crop. The ground we tilled does not represent that in any way. A couple years ago I had the comment made to me that the whole country was going to blow because all of us stupid farmers doing tillage. I mentioned to him one of the reasons we had chiseled some of the stuff we did was because it was already blowing. We are careful with tillage. Never till a waterway unless you are trying to repair it. We don't even strip-till through them. Most of the fields we are conventional till on are low and flat with basically no erosion concern other than wind, and the proper tool will prevent that.

When I drive through southern MN or IA and see the sheet erosion that has occurred it drives me nuts. The field out behind my brother's house in IA has a natural gas line running through it and there is an area on the hill where they have fenced off around the pipe and is no longer farmed because erosion has removed too much cover from the line.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)