AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere VRT questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notillr
Posted 7/19/2006 15:06 (#27979 - in reply to #27941)
Subject: RE: John Deere VRT questions

WC ILL or on a HD on a road to 'somewhere'...

As far as the selector switch goes, the only thing you change between draft load positions is the minimum eng RPM. The PTO mode will hold the pre-set PTO speed & thene there's the 'Off' position, where the auto part of IVT is sorta bypassed. You can change any switch position any time, anywhere @ any speed. You can even put it in reverse while going 26mph forward if you want.

I use a planter w/ two fans & a double hydraulic drive, but don't use the markers. I get by fine w/ a 1500 RPM min setting.

For planting, auger wagon & light tillage loads, the IVT, when working 'right' is a near perfect transmission. When it need re-calibrated, you'll be wanting to get it done ASAP. It can jerk & buck w/ any powershift, suddenly stop going down the road + do some really funky surges 'till you do. Not a biggy, just takes a knowlegable mechanic w/ a laptop. I first called to get mine done last fall, when putting on NH3. Finally got it done when I was ~ 1/2 done with planting beans. Took a second dealer to find a bad clutch switch during corn planting, before it would take the re-cal.

Don't expect the world for fuel economy & you won't be disapointed. The IVT is going to save you near nothing there. Using the tractors own gal/hr tach setting, you can see that you're not going to use much, if any more fuel w/ a virtually unloaded engine @ higher RPM (IVT off) as you will w/ the IVT engaged & a lower RPM. I know common sense dictates otherwise, but you have to see it for yourself.

I went from a 2001 7810 MFWD Powershift to the '05 7920. Deere quality took a MAJOR step downhill in those years - if not totally falling off a cliff. Lots of little things that are problems & common to all the 79's & a lot of 8020's. Faulty seat switches that turn the fancy seat into a no-suspension model to a cab roof with a built in leak that will be draining rainwater out on the side windows for two weeks after the rain event. The electric/hydraulic switches on the console seem to be another common issue. They changed them from the old proven design of the older 8000's & took something that worked near flawless to something that sometimes doesn't work at all.

My tractor has ~500hrs on it, is 13 months old & still has most of the same problems that it did the first day in the field. I've been working w/ two dealers & two different area JD service reps. As it stands now, I think Deere warranty has abandoned this tractor. 

Overall a good concept tractor, but one I wouldn't own untill ALL the bugs are worked out. Mine is a lease, so I'm lucky enough that it'll be gone someday. No way will I consider buying out the lease on this particular tractor.

Edited by notillr 7/19/2006 15:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)