AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips on setting up an Insight with DC/Autoswath
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/8/2008 09:21 (#328899 - in reply to #328525)
Subject: RE: Tips on setting up an Insight with DC/Autoswath

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
D.G. - Yes you can have different Op regions as you call them but the operations are considered separate which is usually desirable. The case of switching from split planting to single variety in the same field would create two separate maps/summaries which may not be desirable.

I have a simulator setup on a table that consists of an Insight with various modules for demonstration/learning/experimenting. I have some "canned" fields on a laptop computer and use Ag Leader's GPS simulator software to pipe simulated GPS into the Insight system.

I have an Insight was setup with two planting configurations. The two setups were identical except that one was for a single variety and the other was for a split planter setup.

When the single variety configuration is chosen, the operator is asked to pick the variety from a pick list.

When the split variety configuration is chosen, the operator is asked to pick the variety for the LEFT and then another variety for the RIGHT. The variety on the RIGHT must be different than the variety on the LEFT since the variety already used on the LEFT is filtered out of the pick list. This might seem surprising but this is the case. This prevents the operator from choosing the same variety for both sides.

If all the boxes contain the same variety pick use the single variety configuration. This single variety can be changed within the field. If I don't want to completely clean out the boxes when I switch to the new variety, I chose a variety that I have named MIXED CORN. Later when I feel that I am truly planting the next variety I pick that name from the list. This works fine and presents no problems. Each time I switch varieties I am presented with the choice of Start a New Map or Add to Last Map. Since I want only one map I chose Add to Last Map.

If an operator wants aTrue Split Planter situation (2 or 3 different Varieties), a Split Planter configuration is created and used. Here the operator is asked to pick the two or three different varieties that are being used. Say we chose Variety A for the LEFT and Variety B for the RIGHT. Later in the field the operator can change these varieties and have Variety A in the LEFT and Variety C in the RIGHT. Several changes to other varieties are possible as might be done with a Test Plot. I don't know what the maximum number of varieties is. This all works properly and the various indications on the screen and the onscreen map are correct.

The quirk comes in if the operator decides to finish this field by using Variety A in both the LEFT and RIGHT. As mentioned this is not possible since Variety A will not be available for the RIGHT side.

IF the operator would switch to the single variety configuration, the planting could continue BUT a new map would be started since the system notes that this is a new configuration. The first map would show the results of the true split planting and the second map would show the results of the single variety. Since most customers would prefer to have only one planting map for a field this is generally undesirable.

The workaround of entering the same variety into the variety (Product) list with two slightly different names gets around the above problem. The Summary screen will list the DK 50-20/1 and the DK 50-20/2 as different varieties but this seems to be about the best we can do.

So back to your original question: Yes you can use different Operations in the same field but they are organized as separate events.

Some may wonder as to why the question of Start New Map or Add to Last Map is necessary. Each choice is useful depending on the situation.

Let's suppose I start to spray a field with Rup. I would pick the field, the configuration and then the product. I would start spraying and the onscreen map would show my progress. Let's also suppose that I didn't finish the field in that session and return to finish the next day. At that point I would choose the Add to Last map as I would want the entire spraying operaton to be considered as a whole.

Let's suppose that a few weeks later, I find that I need to spray this field with Rup a second time. The system will note that I have applied this product in this field earlier this year and present me with the Start New Map or Add to Last Map question. This time I would pick Start New Map as I would want the second application of Rup to be considered separate from the first.

Edited by tedbear 3/8/2008 09:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)