AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clairifications on EZ-Guide 500 with WAAS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 3/8/2008 12:02 (#329022 - in reply to #328983)
Subject: Re: Clairifications on EZ-Guide 500 with WAAS

Kentucky
notilltom - 3/8/2008 11:24

Hi Jmark71,

I remember looking down on the farm land north/northwest of Nashville on the flight segment to Chicago from Commodity Classic. Are you in that area? From what I can tell, there were some pretty nice looking farms/fields in that area.

I ditto your thoughts on the quality of responses from tedbear, alange, and you too Jacob. Thanks.

I am 1 hour north of Nashville, 10 miles south of Bowling Green and 2 miles west of I-65. That will get you pretty close. Most of the farms in our area are corn/wheat/double-crop beans with an occasional cow/calf operation mixed in. We are on the eastern edge of the "Pennyrile" or southern tier of counties that are predominantly row crop. Very productive prime farmland, but our number of prime acres are nothing like the acres upon acres of prairie soils up your way. We have the glacial winds to thank for our 6-8 inches of top soil that came from the prairie states. It's a great place to live as we have 4 distinct seasons (a long spring and fall), but being a great place to live means competing with develpment more and more. I don't live in a county that values farmers anymore. We are in the way. I want to barf every time I hear our part of the county referred to as undeveloped land. The way the local government talks about it is as if its just lying there doing nothing -- a waste to the community. We are losing the strength of diversity in this community, but then balance is difficult to maintain with so many conflicts of interest. It was a different set of values 30 years ago, but you could say that about almost anywhere in the country I guess.

I lived just north of Rockford Illinois for 4 years as a rep before returning to farm in 1988. No regrets, but I do miss being around so many of the strong farm communities like you have in the midwest. I don't miss the winters though. Ha!

Hope you guys have another great year, and if you head to Nashville again, drop me a line. I'm just an hour away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)