AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats the best Tractor Stereo you ever had??????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bigboyfloyd
Posted 1/30/2014 07:22 (#3647767)
Subject: Whats the best Tractor Stereo you ever had??????

SW Michigan
For us hands down was the factory stereo in a new Cat 75E, It had the k.a.s.s which stood for (Kick a.. stereo system) TRUE! that was told to us from Cat engineer's on a Cat trip. It had a sub woofer under the seat, that baby would rock. The next one would be the factory stereo in a JD 8960 we had, that thing could crank out the tunes also, however when that radio died, the replacement I think was a JVC not an AC Delco and it just did not have the punch. These new tractors today just don't seem to have a great sounding stereo in them for what the tractor cost. If you buying a car for that kind of money just think what the Bose system would be like in it!!! They get the job done I guess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BBfarms
Posted 1/30/2014 07:32 (#3647797 - in reply to #3647767)
Subject: RE: Whats the best Tractor Stereo you ever had??????

SE Michigan
For me it's hard to beat the OEM, Replaced a dead OEM radio with a mid range car stereo, had it out in a week with a dealer "heavy duty" replacement. Just could not get it to sound right. I don't want allot of features ( AM-FM) is all I need, so OEM's seem to fit my needs just fine
iafarmerken
Posted 1/30/2014 07:33 (#3647800 - in reply to #3647767)
Subject: Re: Whats the best Tractor Stereo you ever had??????

Western Iowa
My jd8225r has a decent radio.....if i could hear it over the cab fan whine!
bharzman
Posted 1/30/2014 07:55 (#3647872 - in reply to #3647800)

North Central Kansas
I had to "re-read" your post. The first time I read... wife wine
Old Pokey
Posted 1/30/2014 08:07 (#3647921 - in reply to #3647767)

The one that worked when I turned it on.

tatertot
Posted 1/30/2014 08:33 (#3647997 - in reply to #3647767)

Central MN
When I was younger (20+ years ago) my Dad had a 1066 IH with a Audiovox radio that had some big headphones that plugged in to it. Sure thought I was cool with those things on and headphones was about the only way a guy was gonna even hear a radio in that rattle trap Year-Round cab.
Tractorman3588
Posted 1/30/2014 08:37 (#3648012 - in reply to #3647767)

Wisconsin
My Versatile 305 has some crappy reception. My 2210 is decent. Had an 8950 with a Pioneer cd player....that was a nice setup. I just want big buttons. The Versatiles have a grab handle which makes it nice to use.
deck05
Posted 1/30/2014 08:38 (#3648014 - in reply to #3647997)

Hitchcock SD
Our JD 9410R has a pretty good one. The factory sub and amp seem pretty good so far. I enjoy it at least!
warpspeed
Posted 1/30/2014 08:42 (#3648029 - in reply to #3647767)

SW Ohio
pulled the radio out of a 4650 and put it in a 4630, and put a pioneer headunit from a car i sold & Polk audio speakers in the 4650. It sounds bout as good as it could. Plus I have aux input cord coming out down by the shifter so no comercials.
hinfarm
Posted 1/30/2014 08:45 (#3648036 - in reply to #3647767)

Amherst WI
The factory Delco in my 7810 is good and so is the one in my 8970 Genesis. But my qualifier for a good radio is getting reception good enough to get WISN in out of Milwaukee so I can listen to Mark Belling rant in the afternoon and WTMJ the rest of the day. If either of those are out I use my XM.

Hopefully I don't hijack the thread but speaking of radios the factory one in my 2188 sucks. It dosen't get any AM stations and it has lispy sound and/or it sounds like some one is dropping empty rifle casings when people get done with their words. Not sure if it is the radio or speakers.
Jeffery
Posted 1/30/2014 09:45 (#3648187 - in reply to #3647767)

Factory speakers in Deere tractors are junk. I do not have an R series with subs (lol) so I cannot comment.

Replaced my cardboard junk with polk audio for around a hundred bucks. Great improvement.
durallymax
Posted 1/30/2014 10:08 (#3648246 - in reply to #3647767)

Wi
I too have been surprised at the lack of stereo options in 300k tractors. I have to admit, for what they are they don't sound terrible. Our Fendt just has two little speakers and a panapacific radio that works pretty decent. It gets decent reception but outside of a few different programs I usually just plug in the iPod. Most have a USB port on them no so you don't even need an iPod just a memory stick. The built in bluetooth works good and people says it clear but they can hear some of the background noise when your pulling hills with the tanker. Fendt does offer a 4 speaker system too.

Our MF's were pretty crappy. Two speakers in the back and two tweeters. As if tractors didn't have enough high end annoyance as it is. Our old Agco's were probably the worst. Two little 4" speakers. Replaced them with some better ones but a 4" speaker can only sound so good.

Our MX Magnums I thought were good when they had the 4 speaker system. Nice mid and low range. Our Versatile/Genesis has nice speakers too and I love the handle on the radio that lets you balance your hand while changing stations. Our MFs kind of have this.

Deere seems to put some nice speakers in their stuff.

Heck our C2 Series Cat skid steer has a nicer stereo than enough of our stuff. Other than the location of the head unit.

If you think about it, most of use spend more time in a tractor on end than our Cars/trucks, why they haven't upped the ante on the stereos is a little odd. I know Challenger always had their steering wheel controls and subwoofer that were optional in the track machines. I thought those were nice. Most tractors steering wheels don't center though so that would be a challenge. Deere having some on the console is kind of handy too. I guess with autosteer and such it isn't a huge deal, but just having a grab bar by the radio so you can balance and feel your way around without looking helps. Most of the replacement radios we get have remotes and I just velcro them to places. I have no been impressed with Jensen HD's and just use decent automotive Kenwood ones. Most newer tractor cabs ride nice and are very clean so these radios offer more features at a lower cost and higher quality enough times. We couldn't get Jensen HD's to last.

Just some better speakers and more speakers in newer tractors would help a lot.
scott nelsen
Posted 1/30/2014 10:40 (#3648318 - in reply to #3648246)

Leeds, North Dakota
Totally agree, when you pay that much money and you spend 12 + hours in it, quality of radios is like everything else, whats quality, external antenna hear you loud and clear, Scott.
hf213
Posted 1/30/2014 10:58 (#3648363 - in reply to #3647767)

My best has to be my Deere Delco in my 8570, good bass, cranks good, with decent factory speakers, I have replaced both stereos in my 4640 and 4440 with the Jensen HD units from Deere and replaced the speakers in both with the 5x7 upgrade, and they sound good, but I want to add 2 speakers up front, to make it like the 55-60 series, they have been reliable they past 4-5 years now.
ndred
Posted 1/30/2014 11:08 (#3648388 - in reply to #3648318)

s nd
Dad put a year-a-round cab on his 826 back in the seventies. I don't know why, but he sprung for the radio option on it. That was the best set of speakers and am/fm radio wedged up there in the front of the cab. No air, so all the windows and doors always open cultivating beets all summer. The further you got away from the tractor, the better it sounded. Our first radio on a tractor was a fender mount on the 560. I could make fence for a quarter mile each way with that thing blaring. "Kinda" good ole days.
Herdboar
Posted 1/30/2014 11:54 (#3648494 - in reply to #3647767)

St. Clair MN; Casa Grande AZ
At the time, the old red AM fender mounted radio on the 4010, and 806.
Set the tuner on 1130 WDGY and rip the knob off! 60's Rock and Roll!

And mud-ball fights with my brother when we met each other across the land, or when the 4010 lapped the 806.

Today I have the aftermarket heavy duty Jenson radios with giant displays in the old tractors.

The little Jensons built for Bobcats and Gators are really bad. Terrible sound.

durallymax
Posted 1/30/2014 12:00 (#3648515 - in reply to #3648494)

Wi

Herdboar - 1/30/2014 10:54  The little Jensons built for Bobcats and Gators are really bad. Terrible sound.

That they are, had one in our L220 NH when we had it very poor sound, but the cab was loud so we had to crank it up to the high 20s-30 to hear it. 

The Pretender
Posted 1/30/2014 12:39 (#3648623 - in reply to #3648246)

The Internet

In 2010 a friend of mine bought an ex demo Jaguar XJL. It was totally loaded, I've not been in this one, but it was less money before the discount for being a demo than "my" new MF7618 was last spring. The Jag gets a fantastic Hi-FI, the Massey gets 2 of the crappiest speakers in car audio history. I've just this afternoon bought a 3 year old Honda Jazz (Fit), the radio in that is miles better than the one in the (much newer and hugely more expensive) tractor.

I hope you are reading this Agco, you bloody tightwads!

slowzuki
Posted 1/30/2014 12:50 (#3648657 - in reply to #3647767)

New Brunswick, Canada
Both our cab tractors are too loud to comfortable listen to the radio while working, the stereo will do it but ears would be ringing after few hours. Use it while servicing to have something to listen too.
durallymax
Posted 1/30/2014 14:35 (#3648856 - in reply to #3648623)

Wi

The Pretender - 1/30/2014 11:39

In 2010 a friend of mine bought an ex demo Jaguar XJL. It was totally loaded, I've not been in this one, but it was less money before the discount for being a demo than "my" new MF7618 was last spring. The Jag gets a fantastic Hi-FI, the Massey gets 2 of the crappiest speakers in car audio history. I've just this afternoon bought a 3 year old Honda Jazz (Fit), the radio in that is miles better than the one in the (much newer and hugely more expensive) tractor.

I hope you are reading this Agco, you bloody tightwads!

I know the seats were a big topic with Fendt I guess.  A lot of the techs/sales people were wondering why build such a nice tractor with a poor seat. The "active" automatic air ride does not work well at all and is useless when cold. Very annoying and aggravating. I don't want leather, just want air ride that works. I realize you can spec a lower seat though also, we did not have "active" air ride but did have the nicer cushion and automatic weight setting in our DT275B, other than leaking down fast it worked.

I am sure stereos maybe were a topic brought up too, you would think so with all the techno beat type music you hear everyone listening to over there. Maybe they think american farmers just listen to talk radio and old country. 

The Pretender
Posted 1/30/2014 14:43 (#3648862 - in reply to #3648856)

The Internet

When I've spoken to our rep(s) about the speakers it appeared to be something they have had people moan about before... As for leather seats, I think they are horrible and can't begin to imagine why people would specify them, never mind pay a premium for them!

durallymax
Posted 1/30/2014 14:53 (#3648877 - in reply to #3648862)

Wi

The Pretender - 1/30/2014 13:43

When I've spoken to our rep(s) about the speakers it appeared to be something they have had people moan about before... As for leather seats, I think they are horrible and can't begin to imagine why people would specify them, never mind pay a premium for them!

Nothing better than a heated cloth seat. Leather is a brick and freezing in winter but then nasty once it warms up.  One think I love about our TDI Cup, cloth seats all the rest of the Jettas unless they were special editions (GLI, Cup, etc) had fake leather or leather. Hate it.  Hot in the summer too, ventilation does help a lot, but I like the material on the Evolution seat in the Fendt, the cushions are fairly comfy, just would be nice to not have an annoying suspension. I think you could lock the seat solid in the Fendt enough days and it would ride nicer that way.  I do like how Deeres optional seal swings very far to the right. 

The Pretender
Posted 1/30/2014 14:59 (#3648893 - in reply to #3648877)

The Internet

What brand is the Fendt seat?

German Shepherd
Posted 1/30/2014 15:36 (#3648953 - in reply to #3647767)

Those are three words I've never used together in my vocabulary.  Best.  Tractor. Stereo.    Even in my year old NH, the sound leaves a lot to be desired.

durallymax
Posted 1/30/2014 15:40 (#3648965 - in reply to #3648893)

Wi

The Pretender - 1/30/2014 13:59

What brand is the Fendt seat?

Grammar, same seat options as the MF and Agco's. They offer the older cheaper seat cushions with manual air control, the nicer black "Evolution" cushions with auto air control and the Super Comfort Evolution Active seat with the "active" auto air control. 

potatofarmer
Posted 1/30/2014 21:49 (#3650084 - in reply to #3647767)

"Famous Potatoes"
I would put the stereo in my R's up against the alpine in my dodge any day. The premium sound system with the sub behind the seat is awesome. XM in the deck, and the phone plugged into the side console makes for a sweet set up. Makes the stereo in my steiger sound like a pickup from the eighties.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)