AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hacking my RTK signal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

johmur
Posted 3/2/2008 10:18 (#323739 - in reply to #320501)
Subject: Re: Hacking my RTK signal

I relate to trying to get more from my Autofarm Rightrac investments. So far two base stations (one permanent set up for "real world coordinates" and the other a mobile base; along with soon to be three rovers). I'm in SE Sask so maybe you'd want to get in touch.
Like some other posters I've been a ways down the road you'd like to go. Some of the details have been forgotten; but as I remember it; with single frequency receivers you need carrier phase data; which is then processed in real time (ie. RTK) or if you are collecting data (including the carrier phase from same satellites; preferably within about 15 miles (or something like that)) and then use some post processing software (like GrafNav or even free CORS type software that was available); you can get some tens of centimeter level output. The software used to be specific to data collected from certain GPS equipment like former BAE or CMC All Star receivers. The receivers were very cheap; but the software was $5000 plus. Things may have changed from about 5 years ago; as you can tell I went to Autofarm real time RTK that works along with Auto steer; mapping etc. etc To do these things yourself can be done; but it costs too much time and resources for practically anyone in the world. Hats off to those who try. I'm all for it and have spent years on such products; and have had a couple that actually turned out to meet expectations.
It will save a lot of frustration if you know your cheaper receivers can actually output the carrier phase. Its an option that is probably possible on most decent receivers ( eg. the BD132 receiver board from Trimble; but they more or less promised it would never be unlocked for the ag market). I know carrier phase enabling cost only about $25 on some receiver boards; but that about where the support ends when trying to mix and match manufacturers and software etc. My guess is that developing the post processing software is beyond every one of us; and trying to get meaningful elevation (a few inches) out of simple sub meter single frequency data is a waste of effort. You could create a much more meaningful map of relatively flat land by casting your eye across the landscape. Remember; with any system elevation errors are at least a couple of times greater than any latitude and longitude errors that you may have.
I used the Rightrac system last fall to drive down some water runs. Very impressive 10 cm elevation changes. Too bad the display changes by 10 cm jumps as I'm sure it would output usable data at a greater resolution.
Sure like to brainstorm with others on this topic. Other solutions may very well have emerged in the last 5 years
Comments welcome; but no flames please

Edited by johmur 3/2/2008 12:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)