AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hacking my RTK signal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

markelias
Posted 2/26/2008 23:33 (#320501)
Subject: Hacking my RTK signal

Canada
We have an AutoFarm RTK tower and GPS guidance system which we use for rowcrop and ditcher work. We also use AutoFarm's datalogging feature to make 3D maps of our fields. We are starting to get into more custom work for the neighbors and are looking to getting away from using the AutoFarm install in the tractor to do the datalogging.

What we are envisioning is this:
- Buy a FreeWave serial data radio. (The same kind that AutoFarm uses to tx/rx their RTK data.)
Recieve RTK correction data from our RTK tower into a PC via the radio's RS232 port. We suspect this to be basic correction data in serial format. Maybe it will resemble something close to nmea strings. Hopefully each correction is also is date and time stamped.
- Record nmea data from our Outback S GPS box while we drive in a grid pattern over a field, aka. datalogging.
- Write and use a simple VB program to compare the captured RTK correction data and the Outback datalogging data. We would correct the Outback data and would have a precisely accurate datalog (map) of the field. The time stamp from the correction data and nmea data makes this easy.

The benefits are:
- being able to use a cheaper vehicle to log the data (my pickup or quad)
- not occupying my tractor/Autofarm setup while it should be out ditching
- not using a $300/hr tractor to do basic mapping
- Since we can use the Outback system far from the RTK tower (out of it's usual range), we should be able to log a distant field and bring it's data back home for precisioning. We DO realize that the further one gets from the RTK tower, the less accurate the correction data is relative to where the 'tractor' is. The degree of inaccuracy will be tested.

So, will this work? Is there anything I've left out? Has anyone ever tried to use their RTK correction signal for other gains?
I want to get this project on the test bench within the month. If anyone is interested, I can post updates.
Thanks
Mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)