AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can ez-guide 500 steer JD autotrac ready tractor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/26/2008 07:51 (#319706 - in reply to #319516)
Subject: RE: Can ez-guide 500 steer JD autotrac ready tractor?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You have at least a couple of options of using the EZ-Guide 500 to steer this tractor. The equipment that you list is commonly used with steering/GPS situations. However the items that you list would not normally be used together.

EZ-Steer is the system that uses an electric motor, along with the T2 unit to steer the tractor. The EZ-Guide 500 is an operator interface/display choice (there are others).

The EZ-Guide 500 would usually be the GPS source with its built-in GPS that can be unlocked to work with XP. The 252 would be redundant as it is a GPS Receiver/Antenna which would not be needed (but could). The EZ-Steer is easy to install and move between vehicles. The fact that your tractor is Autotrac ready has no bearing with this system since the steering wheel is always being used to steer the tractor whether it is by the operator's hands or the electric motor.

A "higher end" system is also available. This is known as Autopilot. This system would make use of the fact that your tractor is Autotrac ready since it will steer the tractor by operating the Autotrac steering valve. The EZ-Guide 500 can be the interface/display for this system (again there are many other choices). The built-in GPS could be used with the autopilot system. This system consists of the NAV II controller box, a wheel position sensor and the various wiring harnesses.

The 252 GPS that you mention could be used with other systems (Ag Leader Insight & others) as the GPS source when there is no other GPS source.

For example in my personal situation I use a Trimble 332 (equivalent in most respects to the 252) as the GPS source to a NAV II controller which interfaces with an Insight. This is in an 8120 that was not autotrac ready so I needed auxiliary steering valves. I use XP on this rig.

I also have an 8310 that uses an EZ-Guide 500 to another NAV II controller. In this tractor the EZ-Guide 500 is the interface/display/GPS. This tractor is not used for planting, the GPS correction is WAAS since I did not want to pay for the one time unlock to Trimble nor the annual fee to Omnistar.

Your choice of systems depends on several factors. The EZ-Steer is cheaper, easily movable and is suited for tillage and broad acre planting. The Autopilot is recommended for more precise situations such as row crop planting etc.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)