AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Milking parlor options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tim in WI
Posted 7/16/2006 10:30 (#27054 - in reply to #26832)
Subject: What we did

Embarrass WI
Back in 1992, we put a double-8 parallel parlor into our old stall barn. At that time, there were no used parallel stalls to be had, so we had to buy new. Was able to locate used equipment-claws, reciever, vac pump, takeoffs. Had to hire the concrete work done, all told we spent about $35K, to milk 100 cows. We have since replaced the stalls, the takeoffs, the pulsators, and the vac pump, but did all the replacements/upgrades out of cash flow. Milking was so much easier that in 1996 we added another barn and went to milking 200 cows. I work less now than when we had 60 and did it all myself.

U of Wis is pushing "low cost parlors" now, they may have some useful advice. Back when I did it, the standard line was, "You can't do that, you have to put a parlor in a new building".

I have seen a 4 stall parlor built out of landscape timbers that the owner uses to milk 40 cows with an investment of less than $1500-but he still kneels or bends over to milk.

As mentioned above, you can help yourself a quite a bit by getting auto takeoffs. Many takeoffs can be used in a stall barn, and then adapted to use in a parlor if you go that route.

If your knees are the main issue, have you ever tried one of those one-legged milking stools that you strap on your waist? I used one the last 5 years or so that I milked in stanchions and it made a big difference. Perhaps by using one of those along with auto takeoffs, you may be able to keep doing what you're doing
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)