AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Experts: how can EGR not shorten the life of an engine?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Joelt
Posted 1/15/2014 20:37 (#3606925)
Subject: Experts: how can EGR not shorten the life of an engine?

perryton, tx
Currently I own 2 tier 4 tractors; a Deere with EGR and a CIH with SCR. While the DEF is a minor pain, I can't help but think that it's gotta be easier on the engine in the long run. It seems to me that recirculating hot exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber has to create some level of added stress on an engine. I know my Deere smokes more than any tractor we've owned in the last 15 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
eth555
Posted 1/15/2014 20:42 (#3606949 - in reply to #3606925)
Subject: Re: Experts: how can EGR not shorten the life of an engine?

SE MN
Not sure if it applies with diesel's, but gas engines have been using EGR systems for decades now. I think the biggest problem is the cooler plugging up with soot/carbon, not sure if they have figured that problem out yet? Only time will tell.
Mbmaring
Posted 1/15/2014 20:58 (#3607026 - in reply to #3606925)

North west MN
It does shorten the life EGR systems took a million mile semi truck engine down to a 600,000 mile engine. I don't know how a JD EGR system works but some EGR systems cool the Exhaust gasses with a oil cooler in turn superheating engine oil.
potatofarmer
Posted 1/15/2014 21:36 (#3607176 - in reply to #3606925)

"Famous Potatoes"
IF your Deere is smoking, and it is a tier 4, something is wrong. None of my Deeres blow any smoke. They are like the newer diesel trucks. In fact, one positive I do see is that I can run them in the shop as long as I want and it never gets smokey.
Jim Beam
Posted 1/15/2014 21:42 (#3607203 - in reply to #3607176)

Roaming the plains
They are still emitting Carbon monoxide so be careful.
dzluvr
Posted 1/15/2014 22:10 (#3607288 - in reply to #3606925)
Subject: RE: Experts: how can EGR not shorten the life of an engine?

you are correct,,,,,,,,,no way should exhaust gases be going into an engine,,,,,,,,,,intake valves and ports get all sooted up,,,,,,,,,,,,plus a diesel needs COOL air on the intake stroke and lots o fresh air to make genuine power,,,,,,,,,,,that is why when an egr delete kit is installed there is always an increase in efficiency
potatofarmer
Posted 1/15/2014 22:11 (#3607291 - in reply to #3606925)

"Famous Potatoes"
Yea, I don't let it run for super long periods, and even then I'll usually have a big door open a little. My point was simply that they are not smokey like the tractors before. The exhaust pipe is like the one on my truck, you can wipe your hand on the inside and its squeaky clean. So if someone claims that a tier 4 engine is smoking excessively, then it's probably also flashing codes.
Ben D, N CA
Posted 1/15/2014 22:56 (#3607397 - in reply to #3606925)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Your Tier 4 tractor smokes? Shouldn't, the ones I have are squeaky clean, inside of the stack is still clean and shiny.

While I have some problems with the way some of the emissions stuff has been forced on us before the manufactures really had it figured out, you have to admit they are much nicer to idle in the shop vs. say a 4440.
Bern
Posted 1/15/2014 23:03 (#3607417 - in reply to #3607176)

Mount Vernon, WA
As Cummins likes to say, "If it's smokin', it's broken".
Alberta Farmer
Posted 1/16/2014 00:37 (#3607506 - in reply to #3606925)

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge
Just think of all the emissions we are saving by rebuilding EGR equipped engines in half the miles............ If only those who come up with such great ideas were capable of seeing the bigger picture, over the lifecycle of the machine, manufacturing that engine rebuild kit and the labor to install also have a carbon and emissions footprint.
Big Ben
Posted 1/16/2014 00:44 (#3607509 - in reply to #3607397)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
My tier 3 tractor smokes like a freight train occasionally. The biggest problem with emissions stuff is that it doesn't work as designed, or at least not reliably.

They should have stopped at Tier 2 for ag. Tier 2 machines are still far more pleasant to idle in the shop vs the old 4440.

mschultz
Posted 1/16/2014 00:57 (#3607512 - in reply to #3606925)

Oregon
Those "hot exhaust gasses" are cooled before induction and they act to lower combustion temperatures. I suspect, but do not know, that the real drawback to longevity is the introduction of carbon to the intake side of the motor. If your Tier 4 Deere is smoking, you have problems. -Mike
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/16/2014 05:30 (#3607578 - in reply to #3607417)

Chebanse, IL.....

I agree. No smoke here from the "interim Tier 4" JD engines. Almost totally none even in heavy tillage pull.

However, some suggest not allowing the engine to run indoors while regenerating.

mid mn
Posted 1/16/2014 06:51 (#3607672 - in reply to #3606925)

I wonder what the resale will be on these tractors when they have higher hours.
durallymax
Posted 1/16/2014 07:42 (#3607786 - in reply to #3606925)

Wi
The EGR is cooled and that is part of the issue. The EGR coolers fail as do the other components due to carbon and such. Idling is any new diesels nightmare run the piss outta it and you will have better luck.

EGR is used to keep combustion temps cool and reduce the potential for NOX to develop by preventing hot complete combustion in an oxygen depleted cylinder.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)