AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plowing for NV Dave
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 7/17/2006 23:01 (#27560 - in reply to #27536)
Subject: RE: further comments on plowing

Jay,

You provide no details of what type of roughness you have in the timothy field.  Rills, ruts, what?  There are many tools that are far less damaging than plowing 12 inches deep.  Some people have used various harrows and tined implements running very shallow to smooth out rough spots.  

The main question I have is: Once you get this field "pool table smooth," and it's in perennial hay crops, shouldn't it pretty much remain smooth indefinitely?? But the way I take your comments is that you plow (deep) whenever you switch out between these crops.  Seems like plowing just comes a bit too easily to you.  (I do comment your no-till corn, however.)

Plowboy,

What's in it for me?  

Seriously, if you want to discuss some ideas sometime, send an e-mail.  I realize that no-till corn in southeast KS is plenty challenging.  There are, however, a scattering of people in that region who are finding ways to make it work. 

I never claimed to have all the answers, although I do find that there are some universals that make no-till easier and more profitable regardless of climate or soils or crop grown.  

Plowing or other forms of tillage are certainly not going to improve agriculture's lot in the long run.  Some of the most desolate places in the world were once fertile fields, but were plowed for centuries and essentially destroyed.  When you are mining, you are digging a deep hole.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)