AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VRT Sidedress NH3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/25/2008 03:51 (#318710 - in reply to #317919)
Subject: Re: VRT Sidedress NH3

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ron - Well Yes & No.

If you wish to convert your single valve FC system to a two valve system, you could obviously remove the Fast Close Valve and replace it with the Standard Control Valve ('168) and the Standard ON/OFF Valve ('169).

It sounds as if you would prefer to still use the Fast Close Valve (since you have it already) and put in a Standard Control Valve in front of it. In this arrangement the Fast Close valve would then only handle the ON/OFF portion while the Standard Control Valve would handle the rate portion.

This should provide better control at low rates. The reason being that the Standard control valve is geared down considerably and is able to "stay put" on the ends and doesn't need to shut down and then "hunt" for the correct valve position when application starts again.

The Green and Yellow wires which currently go to the Fast Close valve would need to be connected to the new Standard Control Valve for the control portion. The Raven console would then be programmed in Standard rather than Fast Close.

To convert the Fast Close Valve to just a Fast ON/OFF valve could be done with a DPDT relay. This relay would need to be wired in the criss-cross motor reversing scheme. The input to the coil of this relay would be the Boom 1 (black) wire in a Raven harness. The relay and the FC valve would both need 12V and ground from the red and white wires in the harness.

When Boom 1 is ON (we want the valve to fully open), the relay is activated to send 12 Volts and ground out on the Green/Yellow wires to the Fast Close Valve.

When Boom 1 is OFF (we want the valve to fully close), the relay is uncharged and the criss-cross wiring pattern will send ground and 12 Volts out on the Green/Yellow wire.

Notice that the polarity for ON is the opposite of the polarity for OFF.

This means that the Fast Close valve will be attempting to continually OPEN when Boom 1 is ON and continually CLOSE when Boom 1 is OFF. This might seem like a problem but such would not be the case due to the limit switches built in the circuitry in the Fast Close Valve.

When the Fast Close valve is operated in its more normal arrangement, the valve is trying to fully Decrease at all times when the Valve is supposed to be OFF.

Although this should work, I don't think I would recommend this plan.

Edited by tedbear 2/25/2008 03:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)