AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oxidation on John Deere Paint, Late 90's
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

koenesfarms
Posted 1/7/2014 11:46 (#3583003)
Subject: Oxidation on John Deere Paint, Late 90's

Clarkston Montana

We have late 90's 9200 with several fiberglass and plastic panels/hood. The painted steel looks good, but on the plastic and fiberglass, we are getting deep oxidation. The problem is that we can remove the oxidation, and make it look like new, but by the time it rolls into the shop next winter..... the oxidation is worse than the year before. Not only is it harder to remove, but wherever there was diesel/chemical/oil spilled onto the paint, it is permanently damaged. This problem appears to be progressing worse and worse.

1) So, once the paint is cleaned up and all the oxidation removed, it there a sealer that will do a excellent job protecting the enamel until it gets waxed the next winter? Prevent air from getting to the paint and oxidizing it, as well as keeping chemicals from soaking through and ruining the enamel.

2) Does anyone have any other insight? Am I approaching this the wrong way?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 1/7/2014 12:12 (#3583112 - in reply to #3583003)
Subject: RE: Oxidation on John Deere Paint, Late 90's

NW Washington
A place that works on fiberglass boats might have some ideas on how to maintain a good finish on plastic and fiberglass surfaces. There are special products for polishing gelcoat surfaces.
http://www.bottompaintstore.com/fiberglass-and-gel-coat-repair-gelc...

Edited by JohnW 1/7/2014 15:55
Jacob Bolson
Posted 1/7/2014 12:14 (#3583116 - in reply to #3583003)
Subject: Re: Oxidation on John Deere Paint, Late 90's

Iowa
What product(s) are you using to remove the oxidation?
koenesfarms
Posted 1/7/2014 12:17 (#3583128 - in reply to #3583116)

Clarkston Montana
Jacob Bolson - 1/7/2014 10:14

What product(s) are you using to remove the oxidation?

Meguiar's fine cut cleaner
Mattchu60
Posted 1/7/2014 13:15 (#3583302 - in reply to #3583003)
Subject: RE: Oxidation on John Deere Paint, Late 90's

NC IA
Are you putting a layer of polish or wax over the hood after you clean it up? If not, I would try a couple coats of wax.

I'm a big fan of Zaino products for my cars, I use them on the tractors now too - very durable polish.
durallymax
Posted 1/7/2014 14:27 (#3583463 - in reply to #3583003)

Wi
Wax is kinda old school now, polymer sealants are taking over for durable protection. Many waxes will give a show car finish, but for a tractor you want durable protection. Are you making sure you strip the paint after polishing with IPA before applying your wax or sealant?

There are some marine products for Gel coats that would work well.

I use Menzerna Power Lock on most things, it's good for about six months or so. Like any sealant or wax though you have to be careful what you use to clean the tractor or you will strip the wax or sealant off.

I also use Opti Coat 2.0 which is a permanent sealant. I am not sure how it does long term on farm equipment, just applied it to our Fendt the other day. It is new though and Fendt uses a hard clear coat so its not necessarily the best test, but it will be interesting. I may try it on an older tractor too. Its expensive, $80 for 20cc's, and tricky to apply. You don't use much, only used 5cc on the Fendt. You have to polish the paint prior because it is permanent and the only way to remove it is through compounding. Then you have to strip the paint with 15% IPA which you should be doing prior to applying any final product anyways, then apply the opti-coat, wait for it to flash and level off any high spots.
whitey
Posted 1/7/2014 15:41 (#3583611 - in reply to #3583463)

SW Kansas
TR3 glaze, one-step cleaner and polish, leaves a resin for protection
gavogel
Posted 1/7/2014 20:16 (#3584533 - in reply to #3583611)

Marion,ks
X2 on the TR3 glaze we have used it for years . You can restore a shine to some pretty oxidized paint .
koenesfarms
Posted 2/21/2014 15:56 (#3706983 - in reply to #3584533)

Clarkston Montana
gavogel - 1/7/2014 18:16

X2 on the TR3 glaze we have used it for years . You can restore a shine to some pretty oxidized paint .

This stuff is amazing, took a couple of coats to cut the oxidization, but the tractor has never looked better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)