AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why are they promoting spraying aphids before thresholds??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

beh
Posted 7/15/2006 08:45 (#26740 - in reply to #26565)
Subject: yield trials

I am a seed dealer with a weigh wagon and last year I had set up some yield trials to check the results of the very program you are talking about. I had eight farmer willing to work with me on and to do it right, so we have a high level of confidence in the results. I too am a C.C.A. that was interested in the results and had nothing to gain one way or the other by the outcome. Only two out of eight plots showed an increase and the increase was only 2/10's of a bushel! One of the eight was a push with the exact some yield and five showed a slight decrease with the greatest decrease being two bushels per acre. While the results did not show a lot of difference one way or the other is was obvious that it would not pay for the treatment that year. I and the farmers wanted to see if the companies promoting and the claimed results could be duplicated on their own farms and in this case it was not. Will it be other years? Possibly. I guess what bother us most is that the company(ies) reps. who's products were used were very interested in the test plots and gave their blessing to the testing, but when the results were shared with them it never made into the database with the other plots. It now makes me wonder when I hear the adds promoting this and claiming the yield advantage. One has to wonder how many and what plots were included. I understand that is will not produce positve results everytime and they average plots, but what plot actually make into the database to be averaged. I really hope this companies are trying to do what is best for the farmer and the enviroment and not just looking for another revenue stream. This plots were located in central Illinois and other areas may have seen different results. This something that we will have to continue to look at and I hope we can get "honest" results as we study these different treatments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)