AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

semosandfarmer
Posted 11/27/2013 23:28 (#3475537 - in reply to #3475521)
Subject: Re: strip till

East Prairie, MO

This....

swne - 11/27/2013 22:17 Banding nutrients works well in low fertility but won't show as much return in adequate soils. 

Also a side effect I hadn't expected, we had a drought...severe drought with the corn not producing much at all. Should have had plenty of P and K fertilize for the wheat crop with the low removal rates but, alas, it was all in 30" strips so we had to broadcast some for the wheat and still ended up with streaky wheat. Granted, that's hopefully a rare occurance but it got me good on my 2nd year of strip till.

For me it just hasn't fit into my operation like I envisioned, I wanted fall strips so as to plant on stale strips in the spring but around here it's wet by the time the beans are done and with our shortage of labor in the fall, it just ain't happening. So I find myself rushing to try and stay ahead of the planter in the spring and planting on fresh strips. Not enough skilled labor on my farm to run a strip till, planter and sprayer all at the same time in the spring, I'm going back to what I was doing before... It's a practice I believe in greatly on the right ground but for me adds an operation that makes us stumble at the wrong time of year.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)