AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Border Collie ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 11/28/2013 06:05 (#3475666 - in reply to #3474371)
Subject: RE: Border Collie ?

south east Indiana
I have a couple 1 yr olds available but they are far from a dog that has experience and been there done that. One of the young dogs is going to make a nice cattle dog in a couple years.
I do have some contacts across the country and actually a few in MO. One of those would be Jack Knox, a stockman/border collie man who himself has been there done that and knows what it takes in a dog to get the job done. He sees dogs all over the county while he is doing training clinics. He actually has a training clinic coming up at his place next month. Would be a good time to check it out and see dogs work. He and his wife are doing a demo with their dogs on a Fri afternoon, I believe it is the 13th. He is the guy I trust and go to when I am looking.

I would try and get one local so they can help you with the dog if needed. There are some things comeone can see from outside the fence when you are working that you can't see. Even after having dogs 14 years that is still the case for me. You need to go see dogs work and watch them to find a good one, just dont buy one from a video. IF they are ripping and gripping walk away, a good cow dogs needs to bite when appropriate but if he stands his gound and is confident the cattle know it.

There are a few other people that I know as well. Sometimes, well a lot of time, it isn't haveing the answers but knowing where to go to find them!

Thanks Mark for you kind words - again I dont have all the answers and I learn something from/with my dogs every day. Sure have learned from Jack as well, don't tell him I listed the dogs first :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)