AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Headline or Quadris?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 7/12/2006 06:58 (#25773 - in reply to #25667)
Subject: Re: Headline or Quadris?????

Martinsville, Ohio
The story is told that a scientist liked to walk the Black Forest in Germany on Sundays. He noticed pine cones that never rotted. He took them to work and in the lab extracted the enzymes that became the Strobilurins, now Headline, Quadris, and Stratego. In this joint project Bayer kept the active ingredient in Stratego, BASF kept the one in Headline and they sold the other to then Zeneca now Syngenta which is Quadris. They are all good products but my SA contacts say over half the acres are sprayed with F500 which is Headline here. Since you aren't after soybean rust that may not be the best one for you but since they aren't spraying just for rust in SA either it might be a good choice. Septoria Brown Spot is one of the leading soybean diseases in North America and Headline does a number on it. Seed farm in the area gained 8.2 bu last year, many fields, many tests, had the weigh wagon busy all fall. Another friend has used Quadris since it came out and says he gets 5 bu consistently. Headline is averaging 12 bu on corn and wheat in these parts but had a friend in Michigan who gained 45 bu on one hybrid last year. I don't see how a fungicide alone could increase yield that much but I never got to study it on my own, either. You can run your own trials or pick one and run with it. Our fields are loaded with Septoria Brown Spot this year and our soybeans have been sickly since planting...

One day we will be talking about resistance to fungicides like we do glyphosate now...

The same discovery finally led to Trilex and Dynasty for seed and I wouldn't plant seed with out it if I had the choice...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)