AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Honda ATV
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 7/12/2006 06:03 (#25768 - in reply to #25736)
Subject: RE: Honda 350 Rancher 2x4 ES

Wyoming

I agree completely on the electric shift issue on Hondas. We have a 450 ES (2001) and I have come to really dislike the electric shift. It sticks in gear, sometimes it won't go into neutral easily unless you rock the machine back and forth, sometimes getting into reverse is a problem. Adjusting it just seem to move the problem from gear to gear, not eliminate it.

Honda had to put out a retrofit dongle that was wired into the computer on the thing to keep from discharging the battery if you let the machine sit for two weeks or more. The ground system in the wiring has given us troubles. The machine doesn't start well in the cold -- say, below 20F. It is a good machine for average Joe-Bob ATV users, but it isn't a good machine for farming, IMO. Try spraying with a wand off a sprayer when you have electric shift and you'll see what I mean. You need both hands on the handlebars with electric shift, where if you have a conventional foot shift, you'd have a much easier time spraying. 

The Honda ATV here has become yet more ammunition for my argument against anything creating, transporting, directing or using electrons on farm equipment. What I really want now is a diesel ATV, with a mechanical fuel pump, and with a conventional motorcycle foot shift or a snowmobile-type belt transmission. And I want no computers on anything, least of all a machine that is supposed to be the machine I grab when I have to get down the field "really fast."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)