AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JB and CRW beetles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BRIAN
Posted 7/10/2006 20:54 (#25387)
Subject: JB and CRW beetles

Graymont Illinois

Boy are they thick in our area. I am fairly new to JB problem  but this year they are eating up everything in spots. Trees you can see damage from highway.

Couple days ago my sweetcorn patch had nice long silks. Today the crw and JB beetles had the corn silks  "bikini waxed" . When I mowed next to sweetcorn, the crw beetles flying was like a night lite in summer.

Went to town to get some liquid  Sevin to spray sweetcorn with hand sprayer. None to be found. Evidently, everybody (townies) are spraying bushes, gardens, trees for these JB. So if you are just starting sweetcorn in your area and live in the crw JB area of midwest, better grab up liquid sevin, if you use that for gardens and little sweetcorn patches.

Have one 80A field that I will have to look at closely. Think I will spray. Others so far not too bad . Kind of spotty . Wind storm about a week ago/60-70 mph winds, road scouting, sure looked like some fields had crw damage. others looked like one row of insecticide was "plugged" on planter.

One last thing, earwigs. Around my house area they are in incredible numbers. You do not see them unless you pick up say, a 5 gallon bucket that has been sitting awhile. Then there are thousands under bucket. Splitting wood, they are under bark. They sure hide well. I do not remember seeing those as a child. Seems like last 10-15 years.

Picnic beetles, not near as thick as I remember them being when growing up.

Enough rambling  Brian

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)