AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody else ready to quit RR beans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 7/9/2006 22:55 (#25203 - in reply to #25105)
Subject: Re: Anybody else ready to quit RR beans?

Brazilton KS
We've yet to plant a RR bean, and I'm perfectly happy. Have been using Syncrony/Blazer and Select or Matador as needed post. Planting public varieties we have grown ourselves, the varieties we plant are consitently in the top sigma of university trials so I don't buy the crap about the $20 beans being "superior" This year I put down a quart of pendimax with the first burndown and it looks like I am going to get by with only about 15% of the acres getting post grass herbicide. I intend to use Storm on some of the beans because of concern about getting too much sulfanurea chemistry out there with one variety we have which is not STS due to carryover concerns from a previous program....other acres will continue with the non-STS rate of Syncrony for burrs....no sense in using the higer rate when you are spiking with Blazer, which we have to do because the Syncrony will not get the waterhemp here anymore...the Blazer will take care of Morningglory so there isn't any other reason for the high rate in my opinion.

Current price of Storm is $54 per gallon when I bought some Friday, 1 pt is thus $6.75 per acre. Select was offered at under $100 per gallon, 5 oz for less then $4 per acre, I'm using old-stock Matador which was cheaper then that and it looks like it will only be needed on 10-15% of the acres. The Pendimax was $4 per acre. Total cost of our herbicide program on the worst acres will be less then the added seed cost of RR beans, without considering the multiple passes of Glyphosate at $3 per acre per pass.

Haven't ever been able to pull off the premium for non-GMO. I need to get together with a friend who is also growing them and lean on the buyers to try to get a market for a barge of them at some sort of premium.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)