AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When do you replace bush hog blades?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jdflyer
Posted 9/30/2013 12:22 (#3357254)
Subject: When do you replace bush hog blades?

Centralia, MO
I'm a sorry photographer but I tried to get some shots of the condition of my blades. They are about five years old now. Local welding shop says if they try to sharpen bush hog blades it takes too long and doesn't last. I know a bush hog will never cut a slick as a lawn mower but these are starting to leave a more ragged cut. And you can see that the ends are getting rounded over.

(0930131209b.jpg)

(0930131211a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0930131209b.jpg (61KB - 441 downloads)
Attachments 0930131211a.jpg (36KB - 421 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 9/30/2013 12:23 (#3357255 - in reply to #3357254)
Subject: RE: When do you replace bush hog blades?

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
When they quite cutting good.
iseedit
Posted 9/30/2013 12:42 (#3357286 - in reply to #3357254)
Subject: RE: When they are too bent up or sharpened down to nothing ~

central - east central Minnesota -

jdflyer - 9/30/2013 12:22 I'm a sorry photographer but I tried to get some shots of the condition of my blades. They are about five years old now. Local welding shop says if they try to sharpen bush hog blades it takes too long and doesn't last. I know a bush hog will never cut a slick as a lawn mower but these are starting to leave a more ragged cut. And you can see that the ends are getting rounded over.

If that's a rought cut brush and ditch type grass cutter . . . . Sharpen them yourself.
I sharpen my blades at least once a day (morning, before starting) and may even hit them again if I get into rocks or dirt banks.
I've sharpened half the blade away.
Most of the time, I can sharpen them on the mower - if I really bung them up (rocks), then I have to take them off.
I've bent plenty of blades also, I take them to the fabricator/welder guy and he has a hydraulic power press. We get'tem streighten out again and away I go. I have 2 sets of blades, incase I bend a blade or two. I can change them out and go and fix / sharpen later.
I use a 4½ in angle grinder with a #40 grit flap disk to sharpen blades. The flap disk doesn't heat up the blade, like a composite disk will.

(Cat Brushcutter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cat Brushcutter.jpg (90KB - 373 downloads)
ihmanky
Posted 9/30/2013 12:46 (#3357290 - in reply to #3357254)

KY
I sharpen until there's nothing left. I use a big grinder on batwing blades and a 4 1/2 on my 7' 3 point one. I travel fairly slow and can get a pretty good cut with less than knife sharp blades. Blades last a lot longer if not taken down to a thin knife edge. Unless you're mowing open, clean grass fields, I wouldn't get them too awful sharp. Rocks and hard dirt are harder on thinner blades.
DixieDeere
Posted 9/30/2013 14:16 (#3357359 - in reply to #3357254)
Subject: Re: When do you replace bush hog blades?

Jackson County, AL
By the looks of yours we replace about 10 years later than that. Ours are horrible right now.
slowzuki
Posted 9/30/2013 14:57 (#3357390 - in reply to #3357254)

New Brunswick, Canada
Ours get replaced when they break and fly off. Until then they get sharpened after rock mowing is done. No sense sharpening when cutting brush or rocky areas. Really reduces fuel use and improves cut quality in grass. I find raising the tail helps reduce fuel use too, the blade doesn't drag in the grass on the back stroke.
Trint
Posted 9/30/2013 16:53 (#3357464 - in reply to #3357254)

North Central OH
When they are bent and chipped so bad you cannot recognize them, we have rocks!
olivetroad
Posted 9/30/2013 18:33 (#3357589 - in reply to #3357254)

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251
We use them until they are about half original width. Then take old plow shears and weld them on - they last really well.
KMech
Posted 9/30/2013 19:24 (#3357690 - in reply to #3357254)

Missouri
Bush Hog is one of several lines I service. Based on what I've seen, blade condition at time of replacement is entirely at the customer's discretion. I have replaced blade so badly worn that they were clearly a safety hazard, and I have replaced blades so barely worn that when the customer declined to keep the old ones, I took them home for my own use.

If you want a better cut than you are getting right now, it is likely time to sharpen or replace. An angle grinder will do just fine without heating the blade to the point of losing temper if you take your time and make quick light strokes.
twraska
Posted 9/30/2013 22:11 (#3358192 - in reply to #3357254)

Wallis, TX

I wish mine looked that good.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)