AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pulling elect. wire through conduit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 1/28/2008 16:16 (#295272)
Subject: pulling elect. wire through conduit

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
I've got to go to a larger wire size in some 1 inch conduit. I currently have 3 number 6 wires in this conduit. One is being used for the ground. It's about 400 feet in length. I need to replace 2 of the 3 wires with number 2 wire. It's probably going to be a bit of a hard pull. Would you pull all three existing wires out and start over. Or would you leave one of the wires in and pull the two new number 2's in as you pull the number 6's out. I had a electric motor repair man suggest the later. what do you guys think?

thanks, gordon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pbutler
Posted 1/28/2008 16:40 (#295287 - in reply to #295272)
Subject: RE: pulling elect. wire through conduit

Macon, IL
400 feet is a LONG pull-and 1" conduit isn't big. You can try a lot of the slipery slime but my guess is you are going to have to pull all the wires.
Illinois John
Posted 1/28/2008 17:01 (#295301 - in reply to #295272)

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I'll bet you have to pull all the wires, but what do you have to lose trying to pull the 6 as you take out the 2's? 

You need lots of electrical snot, helps a lot.  I always was generous with the product, and have had some success doing what you are trying, but not always.

I would probably pull 3 new wires with the old 3 wires, but it wouldn't hurt to try to pull two first, usually can always pull them back.  Worst part is where the pipe bends, if you have a way to avoid pulling through a bend, it will help a lot if you only have a straight pull.  I had trouble with the wires getting tangled at the bends when I replaced new wires using old ones to pull.

Another brand of lubricantGB Wire aideI use the GB Wire-Aide.

Topshot
Posted 1/28/2008 17:09 (#295308 - in reply to #295272)
Subject: Re: pulling elect. wire through conduit

Near Richmond, IN
I'd pull all three at once with one or two of the original #6's. I'm guessing that if you have any elbows of much of any curves you probably aren't going to get it pulled anyway. That's a tight fit on a very long piece of conduit. Depending on where it's at it might be worth buying some new conduit in a larger size and replacing it. conduit's cheap, but maybe not if it's all buried.
Pinto Bean
Posted 1/28/2008 17:23 (#295314 - in reply to #295272)

NE ND
If you could pull out two of the wires, say one hot and the ground, and leave the other in there to use as a pull wire for when you pull the new ones in. then when you go to pull the new ones in, stager the wires when you make the head. make sure you have the wires taped on good so one dosent come loose. also have one person feeding and soaping the wires while one or two pull from the other end. good luck.

pinto
trailcutter
Posted 1/28/2008 18:16 (#295344 - in reply to #295272)

WC MO
400' of cable is a lot and it will start fighting with you in a run that long. Buy a Kellems Grip (or borrow one from your electrician) and use it to "attach" the three new wires to one of the old ones, make sure EACH ONE of the three new wires are being grabbed individually by the Grip. Stretch it and wrap good tape around it, you obviously don't want one of the cables coming loose somewhere in the 400 feet.
Make sure the leading point where the grip attaches to your pull wire is taped in a smooth taper with nothing exposed that could get snagged.

I seriously doubt you will be able to remove two of the three existing cables in the run, they get wrapped around each other when they are pulled in and are likely to be tangled in there now. You will most likely need to buy a spool of pulling rope and tie it to the end of the old cables when you pull them out. Be sure to put pulling snot on the rope as it is being run in.

I hope there are no 90 degree bends in that run.
rlbsek
Posted 1/28/2008 18:34 (#295348 - in reply to #295344)

Chanute, KS.
My book show's that up to 3 no 2 will fit in a 1" conduit but hey will have to be thhn or thwn they is little chance that tw would work. The more I work with pulling wire I have learned that you can get what the book say in short runs if no more than 2 - 90 bends are present. Any more I will almost away's use conduit 1 to 2 size larger then mini um.
trailcutter
Posted 1/28/2008 18:52 (#295358 - in reply to #295348)

WC MO
Agreed. 90 degree bends will make it difficult in a run that long. It should really have at least two pull points along the way. Ideally, any place that a 90 degree bend exists should be made into a pullpoint by substituting a box for the bend.

Topshot
Posted 1/28/2008 18:53 (#295359 - in reply to #295358)

Near Richmond, IN
That's an excellent idea. Would make pulling it much easier.
Downwardspiral
Posted 1/28/2008 20:22 (#295419 - in reply to #295359)

Northern Indiana
I think if he did that and used the pulling lube like it was free he will do OK.

Defiantly use a pulling rope and pulling appliance. If you lose the wire it is all over 'cept the crying.
Hotwire
Posted 1/28/2008 21:04 (#295452 - in reply to #295272)

WC Ohio
All good advice, one more problem you will encounter if you are pulling that long of a run through any size of PVC elbows is the pulling rope may burn through(friction) the elbow. The situation you describe can be one of the toughest wire pull situations. I have had 3-#6 wires break while using all of them to pull in larger wires such as the situation you are describing.
If you could give more specific details (conduit type, number of bends, distance of bends from the pulling end)I would be able to give more advice if you'd like it.
I have made lots of mistakes $$$ pulling wire, I'd be happy to share ideas so you might avoid some of the same mistakes.
Brian
WC OH
sri
Posted 1/28/2008 22:43 (#295575 - in reply to #295272)

nw pa

I would hope that not all of this is buried to deep.   The first thing to do when pulling is mark your wire and keep track of how many feet you have pulled. That way if you need to dig it up you at least know where the end is. I would also try to plan a few dig places. (bends etc.) where you can cut a piece of the conduit out. Pull all the wire to that splice then feed it through the cutout and the rest of it.   unless you find something different than usual you better figure on trouble. Make sure you have some chinese handcuffs on each wire and stagger the ends.

good luck let us know how you make out.

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 1/29/2008 07:28 (#295730 - in reply to #295272)

SW Ohio
all good points above. IF you do lose the wires not all is lost, I have seen commercial jobs where they are pulling way over 400 feet, even seen a 1" pull rope and a winch., but how do they get it started?? easy, use a ping pong ball or whatever fits the pipe and tie a small string thru a hole in it and blow it with air, then use little string to pull big string, even saw a guy blow with his mouth on a short run, ball doesn't/shouldn't have to fit snug.
Reyem
Posted 1/29/2008 08:14 (#295748 - in reply to #295730)

SW IA
or use shop vac on other end.
rlbsek
Posted 1/29/2008 08:26 (#295756 - in reply to #295748)

Chanute, KS.
I have used shop vac with a piece of sponge, works good.
don@nebr
Posted 1/29/2008 11:56 (#295890 - in reply to #295272)

Here is MY concern,,,didnt see anyone mention it so I will.

Maybe this is a here thing,,,but gophers and those pesky striped ground squirrels are attracted to underground electrical wires. HERE you need 2" minimum conduit to be BIG enough they cant get their mouths around and bite THRU!!

So you CAN reuse that 1" if you wish,,,but IF you have same probs there,,,burying the 2" NOW gives you the security of NOT having a failure at the worst possible time!!

Plus it MAY give you added capacity for future expansion!! I am far from an expert but HAVE had those varmits chew thru wires and small conduit before!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)