AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cummins Engine Brake Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jd7830
Posted 8/12/2013 15:29 (#3263233)
Subject: Cummins Engine Brake Questions

WC Missouri
I am going to look at a 1985 Kenworth W900 that has a 400 Cummins with a 13 speed in it. I talked to the seller today and asked if it had a jake brake. He said it did but was not hooked up. Is there any way to look at the engine and tell if it it still installed on the engine? I figured there would be a wiring harness that I could see going into the valve cover but I am not real familiar with the engine brakes.

Also is there any other common things that we should look at on this model of truck?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bern
Posted 8/12/2013 16:27 (#3263296 - in reply to #3263233)
Subject: RE: Cummins Engine Brake Questions

Mount Vernon, WA
A Jake Brake housing is about 3" or so in height, and sits between the rocker cover and cylinder head (see pic). There should also be at least one wire going to the housing. On an 855 Cummins, there should be 3 housings, one for each head (and 3 wires).

Edited by Bern 8/12/2013 16:28

(Jakes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jakes.jpg (59KB - 295 downloads)
jd7830
Posted 8/12/2013 16:39 (#3263309 - in reply to #3263233)
Subject: Re: Cummins Engine Brake Questions

WC Missouri
Great. That makes sense. He just said it was unhooked and that made me suspicious that maybe it wasn't just electrical. I just wanted to know what I needed to be looking for. Thanks for the information.
knks
Posted 8/12/2013 16:43 (#3263317 - in reply to #3263233)
Subject: Re: Cummins Engine Brake Questions

haskell county, ks
jake brakes are installed on top of the rocker box, not between head and rocker box. either way, on top of the head is 2 assemblies and not just 1 with 1 wire going to each jake box. should also be a switch on injector pump linkage and 1 inside on clutch pedal along with a switch on the dash to turn it on. i am assuming on a 85 model that engine is a big cam mechanical engine and not an electronic. i also believe the cpl on a 400 is 449. about everyone wants to claim that their truck has a 400 cummins in it, so that might be something else to verify. i love the old w900 with cummins. they are a classic truck. really enjoy seeing the "a" models.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)