AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell Me about Big Square Bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 7/5/2006 09:16 (#24204 - in reply to #23981)
Subject: RE: Tell Me about Big Square Bales

I run a JD 567 MegaWide baler and can run side by side to the Hesston 4900 balers in 2.5 ton/ acre hay double raked. But I have to stop and tie/dump bale. That takes me 30 seconds a bale to do that with 2.5 to 2.8 wraps with net wrap. Yes it's a pain to have to stop and go, but I look at the cost of a new round baler with a warranty vs. a used ton baler with 30,000 bales though it as about a wash. This way I get a new baler, but I also get the very best quality hay you can put as dry hay.

I've have to buy a lot of hay also, and have had every type of bale brought to me 3x3's, 3x4's 4x4's. From the old NH 2000 balers right down to Freeman balers. Never had hay from the Krone or JD 1000 baler. I still feel I can put better hay with a round baler, just not as fast. The big thing is the spoilage of hay is less with round, and they are easy to feed. Where we feed with a pitchfork, we stand them on their ends and fork it (much easier than forking ton bales). I also use a round bale processor that does big squares too. And also use a DweEze balebed on a truck too.

I've had lots of feed reps. come and look at my hay, and lots of custom ton balers too. They tell me they wish they could put that beautiful of hay in squares as I do with rounds. But as you know, they are a pain in the butt to haul, and take a lot of room to stack( I use over 25 acres to stack).

In a perfect world I would have all the hay sheds I need, a Hesston 4950 baler, two twenty year-old wife's, a new truck!
I guess I've got to settle for round baler, no hay sheds, one forty year old blonde, four well used pickups. Upside is I've got happy cows munching on round bales!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)