AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Explain "soil erosion" to me................
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nitehunter
Posted 7/3/2006 17:37 (#23792 - in reply to #23778)
Subject: RE: Explain "soil erosion" to me................

Just one more example of how our fine government works. Everything has to be able to be converted to numbers that can be plugged into a computer program, whether or not there is erosion has nothing to do with it. A farm in my neighborhood has not had a waterway since comming out of CRP about ten years ago. The farm has been in a continous corn-bean rotation since, some years no-tilled, some not. This spring the owner got 90% cost share to establish grass waterways and enroll them in the conservation CRP program at $160 per acre per year payment. My farm has had grass waterways and headlands for three generations, plus a CCOMM rotation. I can't use the Waterway CRP program because I graze the fields some years. I went in to see if any cost share was available to reshape some waterways because they were getting bumpy from gopher mounds and badgers. They told me that since the waterways were already established there was no money available. So I said I would plow through them for a few years and then have them pay to put them back in. They said if I did that I would not get any govt. payments on the farm because I was not following the conservation plan. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've talked with several people since that have said you're better off to hire the contractor yourself because it will cost you just as much if not more to jump through all the govt. hoops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)