AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insulating building perimeter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 6/30/2013 10:57 (#3183134 - in reply to #3182957)
Subject: Re: Insulating building perimeter?

Morris, IL
I see both pictures, i think both would work. I'll explain how we did it anyway. First we dug on inside, didn't want to risk hitting nice tin on outside of building and didn't want to tear up nice grass. We dug 4' on inside of poles with mini excavator. Keep in mind poles will probably have concrete around poles which makes it fun going around them but we made it work. Once everything was dug we put a treated 2x12" with top in line with concrete grade. We took a 48" sheet of 2" insulation board and ripped it down to 32" and 16". The 32" piece was put under the 2x12", the 16" piece was put behind the 2x12". They overlapped a little so actually insulation only goes down 44" or so. Backed filled with CA6 gravel minis the fines based on concrete finishers recommendation. After back filled with that stuff it would never settle, we tried driving on it with loaded loader tractor front tire and it didn't move.

We also put 2" insulation board under the concrete, then stapled the heat tubes to the insulation.

With the concrete pillar it isn't perfect but we couldn't afford to pour foundation so this was second best option. I have a few pictures that show the 2x12" and the 16" piece of insulation but i never took any pictures of the trench. Should have, could have, but i didn't.

(Shop floor 18 2011.jpg)

(Shop floor 10 2011.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shop floor 18 2011.jpg (85KB - 398 downloads)
Attachments Shop floor 10 2011.jpg (67KB - 367 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)