AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ-steer GPS - PF3000 update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/3/2006 07:40 (#23684 - in reply to #23637)
Subject: RE: EZ-steer GPS - PF3000 update

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
After your earlier post about this problem, I was concerned that I might experience a similar problem with my EZ-Steer and my Insight.

A knowledgable acquaintance confirmed that your problem is real and indicated that I should expect something similar with my Insight.

Yesterday I moved the Insight back to my 8310 and hooked it up to the EZ-Guide GPS by using the Keyboard tee cable and a generic extension to reach the Insight.

GPS reached the Insight with the Default Data settings of 4800 BAUD, 8-N-1. I drove down a gravel road (don't have any fields available for testing right now) and Set A and then Set B. I engaged the EZ-Steer and the system drove the tractor as expected. Before and during the setting of the AB line, I had the Insight running in a Tillage configuration and had logging ON. My onscreen map did exactly what I had hoped. I did not notice any "dropouts", screen zooming or other problems.

Later I went back into the Data Out settings and set the GPS out to 19,200 BAUD and 5 Hz. This seemed to work well also. There was a brief priod where GPS was lost but then the Insight readjusted its BAUD rate and GPS was reestablished.

Granted this was very limited testing but I did not experience any problems.

I did have a somewhat similar problem with a PF3000 a few years ago with a 3100 addon GPS. I don't remember the situation exactly but the PF3000 would tend to "lock up". I was running the AUX Port out to a Raven lightbar and the GPS port to a PF3000. I was running the 3100 at 10 Hz to improve the response on the lightbar. I believe this was related to my problem. I have noticed that on many Trimble type GPS receivers there is a special menu item that will let you send out the VTG message at 1 HZ even though the other messages (GGA) might be going out faster. I believe this menu item lets you slow down the VTG message which tends to "overwhelm" the PF3000.

Concerning your two-way radio, this may be a real possibility. With my PF3000 and addon 3100, transmitting did cause problems at times. I found that on the tractor I moved the two-way antenna further away from the GPS antenna (it was a magnetic mount so this was easy to do) and the situation improved. I also had this problem on a previous combine due to the mounting location.

Edited by tedbear 7/3/2006 07:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)