AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trading, marketing and certainty
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 1/15/2008 10:09 (#283683 - in reply to #283668)
Subject: Re: Trading, marketing and certainty

You have to meet strict financial requirements as bankruptcy is not an option for a CBOT member. I note the last trade was $850,000. It is more of an investment now, in my opinion, as the pit trade is almost a non-event compared to the electronic trade. The past advantage of being a member trading in the pits was the observation of who was/is doing what & getting a feel for the orders, and of course some advantage in being on the spot in terms of getting an order filled. A member still has to maintain his account with a clearing member & pay the fees and in this day of reduced commissions I don't see much advantage. I think I paid $160K for mine....kept it for a few years and sold it for about the same price. On a more humorous note, I became acquainted with a large producer in the late 60's, every time we'd get together he was kicking himself for selling his membership as he'd bought it after WWII for $5K...but it was a tradition to send flowers when a member passed on...went thru a period of quite a few flowers...it irritated him & he sold his membership for a cheap price, made money on it but not like the later value....he was one of those impulsive types, although very successful, was always rehashing his mistakes.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)