AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else hate their whirlpool duet washer?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/20/2013 01:09 (#3164259)
Subject: Anyone else hate their whirlpool duet washer?

just a tish NE of central ND
Throws codes and even if you clean the drain trap it still is hit and miss. Seems with a small load it gives trouble. With a large load it works better. Sometimes it says SUD...... heck I've seen that when there isn't even much soap in it, Most of the time it shows f and some number like f 11 or something. I looked it up once and it means slow draining or takes too long for the time it is allowed to drain.My opinion of the thing is getting more sour all the time..
Short of replacing it, are there any fixes that make it fool proof? What am I missing? Maybe I need to pull that flimsy hose off between the drum and pump and check it for debris?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbbreezy
Posted 6/20/2013 05:37 (#3164319 - in reply to #3164259)
Subject: Re: Anyone else hate their whirlpool duet washer?

Blackstock, Ont
Despise my duet pair and swore never to by whirlpool again. Our washer randomly tears holes in clothes. If it is new or expensive, its done for. Whirlpool replaced drum, door handle...and gave up. Would like to sell them, but can't find anyone that I want to curse with the machines. We also get f messages and suds. Also find that one hour wash usually takes 1 1/2. Recently bought top of line kitchenaid dishwasher. Has been fixed three times and is now out of w/a. Never knew kitchenaid was made by whirlpool.... Sorry, only fix I can see is dumping them.
Bbbreezys wife
Hotwire
Posted 6/20/2013 06:55 (#3164444 - in reply to #3164319)

WC Ohio
Can I add to the vent - hate my GE Profile dishwasher - doesn't get much of anything clean, esp. top rack. Service guy stated that it's due to the water reduction/restriction imposed by our wonderful government - has to be energy efficient- nothing he can do and that they are all made this way now. Guess I'm spoiled - old dishwasher would wash anything and everything thoroughly - was a knockoff Kitchenaide and at the time was made by Kitchenaide.

Mrs. Hotwire

PS: had a washer similar to yours (Staber 2000 - aka the washing machine from hell) and hated it also - they came out too many times to count to fix it and then just never showed up after telling me a needed a new board and they didn't have any in stock and didn't know when they might get one in. They were (are) based in Grove City Columbus Ohio.
jdm
Posted 6/20/2013 07:04 (#3164465 - in reply to #3164444)

West Kentucky
Did you ever get a car clean by spraying it off with water at a car wash? I am not a dishwasher fan.
farmboy99
Posted 6/20/2013 07:08 (#3164472 - in reply to #3164259)
Subject: RE: Anyone else hate their whirlpool duet washer?

SE South Dakota
Try taking apart every electrical connection that you can reach in the machine. and of course put back together. Maybe spray some electrical contact cleaner on while apart. We had similar problems a couple of years ago and best I can guess is that there was a poor connection someplace and it was fixed by doing the above. It been working fine. At the time it was a real problem to do laundry. Also level the machine. My wife say to use the heavy duty cycle as opposited to the normal/casuel cycle....seems to work better.

good luck. My fixes aren't foolproof but they helped us. At one time I just about threw ours out, but since learning it it is fine.

Jim J
PE.
Posted 6/20/2013 07:10 (#3164473 - in reply to #3164259)

WC MN
Wife was hating on stinky duet, service tech pulled dress shoulder pad, hair clips, etc out. Now switched to Tide pods, great machine.
redgreenandrust
Posted 6/20/2013 07:11 (#3164475 - in reply to #3164465)

thumb of michigan
For Hotwire- try BubbleBandit dishwasher detergent. It works wonders because it has phosphorus in it.

For SHK- I assume you are using HE detergent? It takes very little of the stuff, especially if you have soft water, and some suds less than others.
willow creek
Posted 6/20/2013 07:30 (#3164514 - in reply to #3164259)

NCND
Knock on wood, we have had ours since 2004 or 05, only a few small problems, It has washed 1000's of loads. With 4 kids it gets a work out.
jimjr
Posted 6/20/2013 07:32 (#3164517 - in reply to #3164473)

swMN
Duet hater here as well, torn clothes, very rarely finishes a load without restarting, slow drain and suds condition, actually does eat small socks and underwear then they get stuck in the water supply port and the water flows out the soap dispenser and on to the floor, I already replaced the board and wiring didn't help. only 5 years old, replaced a Roper topload that was 22 years old with no troubles and that's when we had four kids at home and used cloth diapers.
tallgrassneil
Posted 6/20/2013 07:37 (#3164525 - in reply to #3164259)

West Texas
Had all those problems, found out the drain pump had a bent shaft. Ordered a new pump and its been trouble free since.
Canderson012
Posted 6/20/2013 08:22 (#3164608 - in reply to #3164259)

Houston County, GA
Handle appliance repair and recycling to make extra cash. Never get a front loader and only get Kenmore! Diagnostics have ruined vehicles, tractors and appliances got hit the hardest.
dairymanswife
Posted 6/20/2013 08:35 (#3164638 - in reply to #3164259)

Knock on wood, mine is great. Had it for about 10 years. Always use HE detergent and always keep the door open between loads so it doesn't get stinky. Never any torn clothes, wondering how tumbling would ruin clothes.
proplock
Posted 6/20/2013 09:07 (#3164685 - in reply to #3164638)

S.W. Mn.
Are all the new ones circuit board controlled? Why Kenmore? Got a problem, wife starting to look at dish washer, ours is 25 years old still works like a charm, racks about gone. IMOP, quality is not the name of the game today.
98mxz583
Posted 6/20/2013 09:25 (#3164705 - in reply to #3164259)

Traverse City MI
Same problems with mine. Torn clothes and random F11 codes. I had to change my drain set up to empty into the floor drain to get it emptied fast enough to not shut down. I have cleaned the pump inlet out a couple of times but it didn't help.
SD-455
Posted 6/20/2013 09:50 (#3164732 - in reply to #3164685)

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
Look at a Frigidaire dishwashers. We bought one last fall for around $500. It has the blue ring on the end of the bottom wand. It does a good job of washing, I leave it set on the powerplus setting. Make sure the drain line is higher than the bottom of the tub or water will not stay in the machine when washing. My old disheasher had a electric valve that would not let water drain until the drain pump came on, the new ones don't.
bshannon
Posted 6/20/2013 10:59 (#3164834 - in reply to #3164259)

I have Maytag Neptune pair. I heard a lot of horror stories about them, but haven't had a bit of trouble in the several year's I've owned them. I'd buy another Maytag.
Jon Hagen
Posted 6/20/2013 12:03 (#3164910 - in reply to #3164259)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Our old Whirlpool Estate top loader is getting around 15 years old, been a good unit untill last year. It developed a water drip that turned out to be a worn out water pump. Replaced the pump and it worked, but was slow to pump out the water. It struggled to get the water out of the drum and the drum spin clutch ran stinking hot. I removed the drain hose and found it nearly clogged with lint and crud. Cleaned the hose and it works perfect again.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/20/2013 12:57 (#3164980 - in reply to #3164475)

redgreenandrust - 6/20/2013 06:11

For Hotwire- try BubbleBandit dishwasher detergent. It works wonders because it has phosphorus in it.

For SHK- I assume you are using HE detergent? It takes very little of the stuff, especially if you have soft water, and some suds less than others.

Yes , you can hardly use any H E detergent, and the water is nice and soft so get lots of suds..
Oh.... they have a instruction manual taped inside the washer to the right and above the pump. WHO even knows that instruction sheet is in there?

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 6/20/2013 13:06
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/20/2013 13:02 (#3164985 - in reply to #3164525)

tallgrassneil - 6/20/2013 06:37

Had all those problems, found out the drain pump had a bent shaft. Ordered a new pump and its been trouble free since.

How the heck can you bend a drain ump shaft?
Well,,,, he impeller on our pump turns out to be VERY loose and floppy on that shaft.It just pushed on to the end with only a half black clip in thingy... So it is possible that the silly pump is not doing its job correctly.So ordered a new pump and will try that. Only 179$
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/20/2013 13:05 (#3164988 - in reply to #3164732)

Most dishwashers I have read about tell you to make a drain loop up above the sink drain or at least above the water level of the machine.
steadyman
Posted 6/20/2013 17:15 (#3165316 - in reply to #3164988)

Treynor IA
I don't have any trouble with my dishwasher as long as I treat her nice.
baler brian
Posted 6/20/2013 22:38 (#3165922 - in reply to #3164259)

Check the hose near the filter I found a quarter in mine which caused it to drain too slow.

Many of the problems with that series are caused by too much soap. Only need about 1 table spoon of detergent. I had mine completely apart last year and there were several cups of partially dried slimy detergent stuck to the back of the drum/ spider arm assembly. I cleaned it all out and am careful with the soap and it has been fine and no more odor problems.

Too much soap causes too much suds which starves the pump and you get the " sud" error
Grain Hay Cattle
Posted 6/21/2013 06:40 (#3166195 - in reply to #3164319)

SW Ohio
Ours does the exact same thing and leaves stains around the holes. It's ridiculous. We are getting ready to have our's "fixed." From everything I've read this is probably a waste of time.
Grain Hay Cattle
Posted 6/21/2013 07:15 (#3166238 - in reply to #3164319)

SW Ohio
Ours does the exact same thing and leaves stains around the holes. It's ridiculous. We are getting ready to have our's "fixed." From everything I've read this is probably a waste of time.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/25/2013 08:10 (#3173301 - in reply to #3164259)

OK ...... so new water pump showed up last night and we are on the 3rd load and apparently it we (washer)working again. Seemed like that that lippy pump wouldn't run and when I banged it with a pliers it started to run. It would work for a load or two and do the same thing again. it was like the motor was stuck. Hope this is the fix....
Today........ cut apart that 179$ motor and see why it would get stuck. it looks to me that water can enter into the motor through the shaft area and the electrical is all outside the plastic stuff. Maybe it is just gummed up with soap in there? ore later on what I find after I dissect the pump.
tallgrassneil
Posted 6/25/2013 10:27 (#3173488 - in reply to #3173301)

West Texas

You might find that the shaft is just held in the housing with a magnet. I thought it was gonna be a job to dissect mine, but it pulled right apart.

Two things I've learned: 1) it doesn't take much soap to cause a problem, and 2) double-check pockets for nuts, bolts, washers, and wire.

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 7/4/2013 07:04 (#3190039 - in reply to #3164259)

So here is what I found taking that pump apart. The impeller was very loose but count slip on the shaft. Not sure if it was missing a rubber piece that holds it on the shaft or if the are made with only one piece inserted , but I only had one in there and the impeller was quite floppy in the shaft. I pried the magnet armature out of the housing and see that it is made to run with water inside of it. The wire winding is on the outside of the plastic housing and stays dry. It has tiny rear shaft and sleeve bearings9tinly like a 1/8th inch shaft). Turns out that rear shaft was worn out on one side and near perfectly round on the other half making it a elliptical circle. With a new pump we have ran quite a few loads through now and it hasn't failed yet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)