AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A question & a thought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

westernks
Posted 1/13/2008 11:39 (#282082 - in reply to #281978)
Subject: HRW wheat plantings

My thought on the HRW plantings is that in alot of the growing areas most that could have been planted was and where I am from you have to summerfallow after a crop or you might as well just throw 2 years production down the drain. We had a large increase in wheat acres in 2007, and now, ground has to rest a year or go to milo. Beans and corn on dryland - forget about it unless we get some huge and timely precip events. I guess it would be hard for someone with a fortunate farm location where continuous cropping is common practice to understand why we don't plant fencerow to fencerow wheat. I have seen the ones that have done exactly that in this area and they maybe luck out once in a blue moon, but usually they get behind on moisture and basiclly give up crops for 3 -5 years playing catch up. Just trying to answer your question on why we didn't plant more wheat - we planted all we could. Alot of you guys get more rain in 3 months than we get a year. They didn't call it The Great American Desert for nothing. Just a view from my area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)